Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Its a gong show out there. The Gill Netters are setting nets across Treavor Channel at Bamfield - good luck getting past them!! They are also setting nets in and around some of the most popular Barkley Sound fishing areas effectively stopping sport fishing in some of these areas...and we are seeing Chinook dead floaters!!!

Despite that, Chinook fishing has been rock solid. Tons of Chinooks. Bait seems to be the answer.

So if they have all the fish in the lakes they need does this mean the commercial guys are in clean up mode? And the sport season is done for the year.

Back east steel usually swim in the theromcline, much like the sox. How ever the sieners I am sure do a number on them. ( No stats what so ever to back that up, just an educated guess:))

fished out of Poett nook on the weekend,fished Kirby,Edward King over to Whiddlestone and down on Saturday and nothing much happening,a fair amount of undersized and a fair amount of small ling, a few humpbacks,nothing in the cooler,all the guys that came in from offshore had limits,fished the evening at Flemming and no activity,used all sorts of bait,jewlery and depths etc.

Sunday am went to Swale and netted 2 nice high twenty springs and lost 2 at the boat(I blame the rookies I was with)All were caught on a green anchovy teaser head using Charlies brine recipe for the first time,landed another 10 lb chin and called it a day to get down the inlet and what a gong show if I have ever seen one as far as nets across the inlet everywhere you could think

scaled.php

Yesterday morning off Kirby. Beautiful day out on the water as long as you didn't notice the DFO DNC off the wall there. We fished Kirby first light and Effingham from 11 til 2. Ran into school after school of Coho's but no springers.

Perfect weather to introduce my wife and 4yr old to WCVI boating. We all had a great day even though we were all operating at about 2hrs of sleep (thanks to our tent neighbour, or as I referred to her "moan"-a)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Thursay till Sat....Basically Blown off the water Thursday but got a pair of spring at Swale 18-22lber...Friday Tubbed out ...got into over a dozen springs....16-25lbs and a bonus Chum 15lbs...Sat was a tough grind boated 5 spring 14-18lbs... I heard off -shore was on fire lotsa spring 20-35lbs .....there here :)

so sounds like it might be worth the drive for the weekend?il be fishin inside as my old boat aint what she used to be but il try it out hopefully there isnt to many floaters!

Here's the deal on sockeye...dfo says there are about 700 in the lakes already. They believe there are more coming and do not want much of any to reach the river...so yes we are in clean up mode. They agreed to keep area from China Creek to Hocking Point commie free to allow rec fishery to proceed. Essentially it is full on commie fishing from here in.

As far as Barkley Sound is concerned there are plenty of chinooks out there. Big thing is to fish bait. Nice tight roll and you will clean up. Released 7 good ones (13 - 19 pounds) Sunday morning til 10 plus all the other small guys we didn't bother to count. Most sitting at 100 feet. Totally worth the trip up.

Haven't not hit a limit inshore this year.

Fish are in the spots crammed with bait. I have been lucky enough to avoid the anchovie disease thus far but do see it coming. Rolling chovs is definitely your safest bet, but don't be afraid of spoons and hoochies.

Swale has been phenomenal...

And then there is offshore - and I don't mean the whole way!!!

See ya on the water.

Back with limits of springs and coho from inshore in 4 hours!

Love it when the fish are in here. Definitely don't have to go even 5 miles!

Was scheduled to do an offshore today but decided to 'give it a rub' on the way out... didn't make it out!

Fished the west side of Imperial Eagle, limited on springs.... 4 tyees, 14 over 20 lbs and the rest were teenagers. Prawning was not stellar and coho are growning bigger everyday!

On Monday, good buddy Jamie and I fished La Perouse offshore for halibut and did very well and also got into Lings, Sole, Pacfic Cod, and landed a 21pound Spring that hammered a chewed up herring as I was reeling up to change the bait. The conditions were stellar. On Tuesday we stayed inshore and fished Sail and then Meares. We had a double header right ofto the bat on the first drop at Sail but lost them and then decided to try Meares as there was just too much debris in the water to keep our lines down. That area was plugged with Coho we caught several kept 3 released smaller ones and landed two Springs. Another beauty day no wind or waves just plenty of sunshine. most of the salmon were caught on a 4inch shiny blue Coyote spoon (with a fish pattern etched into the paint) behind a Purple flasher and depths ranged from 40 to 130 feet.

How's the weather (wind) forecast for the next couple days. We're planning a trip to Bamfield on short notice.
Osama,Nog. Cheers

Also looking for moorage for a 24'er for Fri and Sat night.

Hi guys
thinking of heading to your area on Friday night and fishing Sat & Sunday morning.
I'm in a 25' Kingfisher I don't know Alberni very well but the winds look good for the weekend, and it sounds like fishing is pretty good. I'll say hi and give a wave if I see any of ya.
I will tie up in Snug for the 2 nights, you monitor 6 tortuga?

Hi guys
thinking of heading to your area on Friday night and fishing Sat & Sunday morning.
I'm in a 25' Kingfisher I don't know Alberni very well but the winds look good for the weekend, and it sounds like fishing is pretty good. I'll say hi and give a wave if I see any of ya.
I will tie up in Snug for the 2 nights, you monitor 6 tortuga?

I'm just a deckhand on this one so I'll check with the skipper and get back to you

I'm just a deckhand on this one so I'll check with the skipper and get back to you

As a "deckhand" it will be your responsibility to take some pictures for those of us to "escape" when we're stuck behind our computers early next week! ;)

I'll be sure to snap a ton when I am in Tofino starting on Wednesday. :cool:

Fellas

Friday eve 0 at Nahmint in rediculous wind , Sat am , 6 sox at Cous , 200 -300 boats ( we were extremely lucky that mornin ), dont even get me started on the Commy's numbers ..
Sat am , tried West Flemming on a hunch ,that turned out ta be a dudd , released a smaller spring , pass at Sanford = 0 , then a almost scrap with a commy that swamped me , while I was in troll ,missed me by 50 feet running full bore , not another boat within 2 miles of us lol , what a jerkoff , his way of saying get outta my spot i guess,,,

a COMPLETE CLUSTER F_ _ K show all the way out as far as whittlestone n Kirby, maybe I'm not as experienced out there as I thought , I have NEVER seen this before , made me sick , nets stretched out shore ta shore all the way up Trevor Channel , workin like yoyo's back n forth

thanks ta both Bod and Osama for yankin us out ta the banks , they were dialed in and done by the time we got out there, BUT , WOW , it was still goin off ,
we landed several springs in short order , 15 - 25lbs , 80 feetish was average for us , all on spoons , short leaders , then off ta hunt down sum whitemeat ,
Osama taught me a few ticks : ) Buddy``s back is still feelin it taday lol , we moved ta 10 or so different places that day , but , it paid off..

we did well , Sunday a copy of Sat , Great weather , nice seein Sheldon Craig over at Mills , glad to see them busy there , Gerry , your new building down at the water looks great , will be a great addition ta Mills Landing.. , wanted ta say hey ta both u and Don ,,,

had a blast with my best buds , Marco..

cheers , sum pics..

sox before the masacre

IMG00274-20110708-0745.jpg

IMG00275-20110708-0752.jpg

IMG00276-20110708-0754.jpg

IMG00277-20110708-0812.jpg

Back