Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Fellas

been here for a few now ,
2 days liviving the dream with the Nish Family , rough day Monday.. nice meeting Jen and Jethro..
Lesson of the season , don't bring bananas on the rig lol,,gong show,

anyways , for those of you heading over , fishing is great , inside seems to be consistent , the wall from Bamfield all the way down to the Nook
has brought many fish to the docks , 20 - 30 lbs avg,,,

however , the offshore fishery is awesome , we fished Southbank yesterday , had 12 -15 Springs to the boat , largest a 30 caught by the
Croation Sensation , cousin Mike , schooled me all day , Rookie Luck , great hangin with the fam ,
we also had over 20 coho to tha boat , which 4 were only marked , concerning with over 100 boats probabally doing the same , wonder how many
truly survive , anyways , fish down between 30 - 80 ft for us , all on LARGE spoons , no flasher needed , however ,seen plenty of boats
still dragging flashers with spoons and rubber doing quite well , we were just trying to avoid the younger fish,, NO PINKS to be seen , nice .....

Hali Hunt tonite ,

sum photos

FD

Mike and Ernie from Sesame street

IMG00386-20110809-1143.jpg

Inside around Flemming , 4 beauties that morning

IMG00382-20110807-1121.jpg

Offshore Oilslick

IMG00392-20110810-1148.jpg

Mikes Tyee... he was too much of a lady to hold it up,,,, : )

IMG00399-20110810-1523.jpg

great report FD. Leaving soon to fish Fri/Sat. Any sockeyes up Ukee way? Any rumours from Heysen, Long Beach?

That myth about bananas is ********. I take them out with me every day.

@ Kelly.......... we are catching Blue and Salmon Sharks offshore so i don't recommend swimming out there.

Bamfield

Has anyone had luck near banfield for a night bite? The morning spots of ours produces good morn fishing but we are stufgling for night bite

That myth about bananas is ********. I take them out with me every day.

@ Kelly.......... we are catching Blue and Salmon Sharks offshore so i don't recommend swimming out there.

Haha at least it would make a good vid. Seriously though i would love to C&R a blue or salmon.

FD awsome pics! Makes me want to get back out there asap.

A friend and I were out Friday with Blair with Swell Time Charters. We had a great day, met our quotas and even released abunch. Weather was good and fishing was outstanding. 5 minutes after first line in we had a spring on the line. Shipped a bunch to be canned and smoked. So Blair thanks for a great day, Todd and I are already thinking about another trip.
Randy

A few of us are headed out to Bamfield on September 10..I believe the plan is to fish inside and not head out offshore....Never been to the west coast myself....Will there still be some springs around at that point..Lots of Coho? Large spoons still the trick at that point? Just trying to get some tips being that it is a little different than where I normally fish and it is later in the season.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats to Bobber John on a 47lber yesterday!!!

Not sure if he got the 45 as well or not, but I know they got one of those as well...

Waves of biggies everywhere off Bamfields banks right now.

A lot of big slabs out there. 4 or 5 fish in the 40's hit the Weigh West dock yesterday.

Congrats to Bobber John on a 47lber yesterday!!!

Not sure if he got the 45 as well or not, but I know they got one of those as well...

Waves of biggies everywhere off Bamfields banks right now.

Haha the ******* texted i got one that might go 40. 47 is a hammer. Now i just gotta get him to let me borrow it for the labour day derby.

Anyone have a a chance to look at my post above? You can send me a PM if you want rather than a post. Just always done my fishing on the east side of the island. Not sure how much will be left around bamfield on september 9th, 10th and 11th.

Hit or miss on the springs then burnsy, we used to fish that week but it was not productive for springs.
Started fishing the week before the derby instead.
But.... you never know.
On the other hand should be some monster coho around then.
Good luck.
Dan.

Back from Barkley, not hot, but steady. Water is warm inside, algee bloom creating low vis. No big Springs for us,all in the high teens low twenties! whacked a few good Hali to 86, lots of Coho. Prawn o plenty. Good times and amazing water, mirror flat. 602, 198 plugs were on fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished Fri, Sat, Sun in the Sound, Southbank and Outside Southbank. 500 plug and Mike and Kelly Pilchard produced outside...nothing was producing fish of any size inside. Found the springs between 80 and 90 at Southbank. Spring fishing was great at Southbank on Friday afternoon, slow Sat and Sun a.m.. However, Coho fishing was on fire at outside Southbank on Sun. Some nice size to some of them now as well. I was lucky as I was batting about .500 for hatchery versus wild. Trolled around Austin, Cree on Sat afternoon...all afternoon. Did not see a spring caught there. Think I maybe saw you there Tailspin - based on your photo - we were in the Striper. Swale was dead as well (when we tried). Lots of migrating fish to be found outside, but not a banner year for the sound would be me my take. But again, I am comparing to what I witnessed in Nootka this year. I think I was in Nootka at the same time as you too Tailspin. Stop following me :)

Hey All we arrived in Bamfield Thursday past and fished through to Sunday early afternoon. Friday morning first light hit South bank with 100 other boats. Fishing was ok there for us. 3 decent springs in the boat. Hit Cree after lunch and pulled a 3 foot ling and a nice snapper. Also through back a 22" ling...damm 2 inches!
Saturday fished the shallows and limits of coho and springs for us. Nothing too big for us 22 lbs was our trophy for our trip. Seeing the 47 and 44 pulled was crazy. Tried for two hours at the shollows for hali and nothing. 7 mile for hali again nothing. Asking around the docks in town I was told hali has been tough. Inside was a mess with the algee bloom.

Hey Jeff I tried to tag along as we planned but dumb luck I fouled a plug waiting for you, by the time I swapped it out you were gone. Next time.

Felix thanks for all your help bro, I owe you one

Water so calm fish or no fish it was a treat to be out there...GO get some fish ppl.

Pics to come

Fished Fri, Sat, Sun in the Sound, Southbank and Outside Southbank. 500 plug and Mike and Kelly Pilchard produced outside...nothing was producing fish of any size inside. Found the springs between 80 and 90 at Southbank. Spring fishing was great at Southbank on Friday afternoon, slow Sat and Sun a.m.. However, Coho fishing was on fire at outside Southbank on Sun. Some nice size to some of them now as well. I was lucky as I was batting about .500 for hatchery versus wild. Trolled around Austin, Cree on Sat afternoon...all afternoon. Did not see a spring caught there. Think I maybe saw you there Tailspin - based on your photo - we were in the Striper. Swale was dead as well (when we tried). Lots of migrating fish to be found outside, but not a banner year for the sound would be me my take. But again, I am comparing to what I witnessed in Nootka this year. I think I was in Nootka at the same time as you too Tailspin. Stop following me Last edited by xavier; Yesterday at 08:06 PM.

Yes that was us, it was a mid morning bite for sure, in super tight was the key for us, pulling sulkers outta the kelp beds. Mears turned on Friday afternoon. Had some good intel to run to Big bank, but we were on fuel rations, lol. Howard Pt. has been decent. Pill was a ghost town on the way back.
Cooking Prawn and catching Hali
barkleyhali.jpg

barkleyhali2.jpg

Nootka only got better after we left, hard to believe it gets better than that. Well next year. Dont tell me your in Renfrew in September, lol

Back