Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

A nice chap who is subsidized in his work by the state just by showing up for work enough days a year to collect EI cheques so he can at least break even because he can't make enough money from fishing to stay in business without a hand out.
i was a commercial troller for 12 years. The guys who really killed me were the ones who'd sit in the bar and tell me i was not a real commercial fisherman because I teach school in the winter. My question was " So what's the prerequisite for being a real commercial fisherman--the ability to collect pogey?" There were many commercial fishermen who did just as you say but there were also many of us who worked other jobs in the off season. Not everybody fished for stamps.
T2

Careful what you wish for

fisheries should be provincial .......

period

FD

Alexandra Morton, et al, fought to have fishfarming become Federally regulated instead of provincially regulated, I believe.

Are we sure we want the province in complete control of fisheries?

IMO it makes little difference as to what level of govt. manages our fisheries. Whether prov. or fed. they will still listen first and foremost to whoever has the money and power to benefit them the most.

The only advantage of having the prov. govt. manage it is we have less distance to travel to talk/protest to them in person.

If we want true change we will need to work hard to make this a more important issue with more of the population and/or take them to court before things will change any. That's my 2 bits for today.

Everyone needs to say to themselves every once in a blue "What am I?"

What's the difference between a PT & a FT Guide, who is more entitled - a person who makes a full time career as a cook, a fireman, school teacher an ICBC person, a member of DFO and works as a fishing guide or the difference between others who work full time in the business and spend months as a full time fishing guide?

I wonder, who is more entitled, a guide, an Indian or a commercial fisherman?

Who is exactly more entitled, a sportfisherman, a commercial fisherman, an Indian or a member of DFO?

There are lots of people who will promote the idea and fortitude of entitlement, and or the view of being better than others...there are three sectors that want to harvest fish, there are no opportunities beyond the term of extinction - every sector wants to kill fish!

...is there enough fish available to fit the market?

Get beyond your wants, build opportunities for everyone's future...stop needless waist of our precious resources - sport fishing is not called sport killing! Have a look in the mirror prior to pointing your fingers at any single sector. The real numbers don't lie, they are readily available to each and every person to evaluate and study.

Be part of the solution and not part of the issue! People will talk to people who talk to one another with respect in terms of fair play and no one should ever respond to uneducated statement or emotions. Simple.

So true in a lot of what you say. I have said for many years that if we quite fighting over who will catch the last fish and promote conservation and enhancement we would have more fish than we know what to do with.

So true in a lot of what you say. I have said for many years that if we quite fighting over who will catch the last fish and promote conservation and enhancement we would have more fish than we know what to do with.

You have my vote BOD, I've been saying that since I joined this forum.

Just got back from a weekend in Bamfield. Stayed at the Harbourside, great place. Lots of Fish. Sunday we started at Beale..nothing. moved to 5 mile..nothing, moved to 7 mile.. nothing. Finally got into the fish at 12 mile. Fished there for a couple hours all by ourselves. Monday we went to Cree/Effingham/Meares along with the 200 other boats that were there. What a gong show but everyone had their nets out and it seemed like all the boats were seein some action along with us. Anyway the weather was great and so was the fishing. Waht else can i guy ask for

Fished the weekend in Bamfield. Fished most of the main spots with the exception of Kirby. I would say the spring fishing was slow inside. Coho fishing was quite good...wild and hatchery. Had my five-year-old daughter with us so we stayed in the sound. She really enjoyed reeling in a couple of Coho. Seals were a problem for us and others at Whittlestone. Especially frustrating when springs are far and few between inside. To be Frank, reports at the dock were of slow fishing offshore with the exception of 12 mile and Big bank. Still a good weekend though. I think my standards may be artificially inflated after an epic trip to Nootka a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inside at Cree was on fire for us Monday AM . Six mid twenties chinooks in an hour and a half on a" Bod" modified needle fish! Smaller fish offshore for the patient and lots of decent-ish hallies!! Full contact at Cree for sure but a bunch of great fellow anglers as well.Great weekend!!!!
kronic

Was anyone fishing cree on sat morning when that whale breached in the middle of the crowd? I thought it was going to land on a boat. Also saw a sea otter(Not river otter) swimming beside the boat for the first time in that area. Man they are big.

Was anyone fishing cree on sat morning when that whale breached in the middle of the crowd? I thought it was going to land on a boat. Also saw a sea otter(Not river otter) swimming beside the boat for the first time in that area. Man they are big.

I was there, but never saw that...what was I smoking to miss it. Must have been quite a sight.

We saw you there a few mornings pat. It was funny i saw the whale come up for a breath in the crowd and commented on how close it was to some boats. A few minutes later i look and the whale is 100% airborne right off the point in the crowd. I was in the upper bay but still could hear the boats around me yelling holly f*&^.

cree was the place to be three mornings in a row, a long green and white needlefish hootchie was the choice at feeding time. pilchard plug worked well at 12 mile, 80'

common area for them i believe Kelly
, i have had some closeins with em in around cree ,
can make ya take a deep breath for sure..
had one pull off arround a hundred feet of downrigger cable once , opened the brake for him ,
once freed , could have swore he did a 180 back at me , winked , went back ta the bottom ,
had ta go home and change my shorts...
buddies still talk about it every time i see them...

we'll be there for a week , 6 -14th , if any are about , Derby , i believe we will be visiting your side ,maybe Monday or Tuesday ,
gonna drop the hook for a night , maybe 2 , wanna do a drive-by the Uki harbour..check it out , haven't been there in years

anyone know the fuel costs at the docks in Uki right now ??

Trophy , Do you ever work man : ) ???

FD

While I did enjoy the Nook, I think it is worth pointing out that their fuel was 20 cents a litre more than when we were at Critter Cove two weeks ago. Critter even floats their fuel in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm dropping the boat in the water tomorrow night.... Fishing Friday.. so should see you all up at Austin/Cree... them back out Sat ...back in for a week next Tuesday.. I'll PM you tomorrow Ducker..puttting a lot miles on tommorrow so I can get out ...:)

pretty sure ukee was a 1.22/l, don ran over is his 30' whaler and bought 1500.00

and ya felix, i work. just self unemployed, so i work like a madman for the other 8 months of the year.

be back next week, more work at harrisons cove!! woot woot

Back