pontoon tips

i looking into buying a used pontoon boat and was wondering if u guys can tell what to look for and things to check when i find one. thanx

Aluminum frame is huge, over steel, especially if you will be carrying it any distance. You can't go wrong with an Outcast, I've had mine for 9 years with absolutely no problems. Also go as big as you can afford, the bigger the diameter of the pontoons the more stable it will be. I would go with a 10 or 11 footer in the outcast 1000FS or 1100FS it is called on the site. You will be happy in the long run with a bigger boat as well, I know a lot of people that have bought them and had issues with small pontoon boats especially when anchoring, they all wish they went bigger. You also want to make sure you are not too low so that when you are rowing your pontoons are not digging into the water. If you want an awesome little boat I have a watermaster Kodiak made by big sky inflatables. It folds up into a back pack, and is only 35-40lbs, with all gear, and I have taken that thing into some remote rivers and gone through some hairy water. The whole thing ends up being just under 8 feet long. Anyways hope this helps if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

lip ripper is this guy selling a used 10 footer, and i would like to drift the upper stamp and the gold, andi see these standing platforms on pontoon boats... isnt the pontoon just to get u from spot to spot or do people fish off them, isnt a bigger boat less manouverable

They are like a dirt bike for the river........
If you have the platform and the anchor you are laughin.... you can ride them spot to spot but to be able to see a spot, drop hook, stand up, and fish it..... muchos betteros
I just want the 2 man cause the wifey likes it :eek:.... she likes to come out an slay my azz every once in a while.
They dont like to anchor like a Highlights kinda rig but do work ;)
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?14112-17-Driftboat-must-go!

shelley3.jpg

Hmmmmmmm, anyone notice where the life jackets are.................

SS

..... On the back of the chair. You ever tried to fish with one of those on?
Anyone notice where the anchor is..................

I got one under my jacket.... but don't feel I have to explain myself to the SFBCPD :D
The woman wore hers...cept for fishin

Sorry. I am a life jacket ****, if there can be such a thing. I like the blow up fishing vest myself, except it doesn't have enough storage. I also like the jumbo toon. In fact, I really kind of want one now. It's like a circle of neglect, but for grownups. Let me know next time you're heading up. Still very interested, but in the circle and in fishing.

-s2 i got one of those mustad vests and i used to think the same thing, that it doesnt have enough storage but think about how much gear u fish and how much u just pack aroud for the hell of it, lighten the pack up

I know YS, I could fit the gear I actually use in the empty space between the top of my head and the top of my toque -and I have a really big head. But still, I feel naked without 2 spools of leader, lead and split shot, three packs of hooks, 20 pre-tied leaders, jars of jensen eggs, 75 spin-n-glo's, 31 corkies, various spoons and spinners, worms, gooeybobs and jigs. Not to mention 11 shades and hues of yarn, 9 floats, beads all sizes, swivels, a camera if I can find space, and a few cigars for when the spirit moves me. And lunch in the back.

Periodically I try to downsize. But gradually it all sneaks back in.

I feel naked without 2 spools of leader, lead and split shot, three packs of hooks, 20 pre-tied leaders, jars of jensen eggs, 75 spin-n-glo's, 31 corkies, various spoons and spinners, worms, gooeybobs and jigs. Not to mention 11 shades and hues of yarn, 9 floats, beads all sizes, swivels, a camera if I can find space, and a few cigars for when the spirit moves me. And lunch in the back.

Ha sounds like the bad I'm usually dragging around with me. i got used to bringing EVERYTHING with me in the boat, now walking I need to slim down, concentrate on working the water not switching lures.

Skookum Steelheader. All I can say is wow. What a great platform. Skookum products are located down in Oregon. The tubes are massive in comparison to many of the Outcast type toons. (They seem to be suited more for still water. They don't track very well especially when anchoring in the river.) The Skookum toons have a long portion of the tube that sits below the water line opposed to how the outcast style really bend like bananas. Because of it they track unbeleivably well and hold at anchor just like a drift boat.
I say go no less than 10' but try for the 12'. Standing platforms work well! So well in fact that my buddy sold his 14' NRS raft for two of these 12' Skookum Steelheaders. They really are like the dirt bikes of the river. Now just how to get a jet on it.LOLOLOL

a friend has been telling me to get one of those watermaster rafts sayig that pontoons are not safe to anchor and fish from in moving water and way more expensive, i kinda like the idea of being able to hike from my vehicle and cover water without needing a second vehicle, any of u guys had one of these rafts

Outcast makes several different boats at different price ranges. If you are looking for a Steelhead boat don't get the Fishcat series. They use vinyl inner bladders. These crack and leak in cold temperatures. The Pac boats that they make use Urethane for the inner bladder. This is what you want. Save the vinyl for lakes in the summer. I had several pontoons warrantied until I got the Ferrari series bladders. Now I'm all good.

Back