Polishing Spoons

the fog ducker

Mornin Fellas

Well , the season for a cleanin is a approachen , and the rediculous amount of spoons i have can use a polish, there still in great shape , but , the nickel side could use a little attention . I have searched the archives , didn't really see anything solid , so , thought i'd ask around , ??

I did fill the sink with sum luke warm water, grabbed some super fine steel wool soaked in dish soap, lightly scrubbed off the oxidation , seem to work well , but , thinkin there may be a commercial product that i may keep in the boat

tried toothpaste , brasso , fine cut polish , did squat

any knowledge would be appreciated ,

FD

The best on I've found is Nevr Dull and Yes that's how it's spelled.

Available @ Home Hardware.

wpefd43e35.jpg

Lime away works great just make sure you don't scrub too hard on any painted surface and rinse well. works awesome for me. BRS

Funny, just went through this and was going to post the best way I've found to help others. I already had a Dremel with a cuttiing, grinding and polishing kit. I used the same fine cut polish I use on my boat and a polishing wheel on the Dremel. Works fast, and super shiny after your done. You can feel the heat on the spoon from the polish and the speed of the Dremel as you work it. Did all my spoons in about an hour the other night. I may take the Dremel with me next summer up to Nootka to touch up any spoons after a days use. Hope it helps.

My gear is rinsed thoroughly and washed regularaly after every outting ,

looks like Coyote uses a clear on the back side , this is what is clouding up , Tried Dogs advice , " Nevr Dull " it does not take the clear off , got some onsale
Dog , lol,,,i do use it once the clear is taken off ,
i used laquer thinner to remove the clear , comes off like butter , be carefull not to get it on the finish side , not a big deal , then i apply a pollish ,
Wham , CHROME , not sure how long it will last , ( future thread lol ) but , looks great... get another season perhaps 2 , and not on a huge effort , counted 132 different spoons in my holster , owch....

be sure to douse them down with ur fav scent before sending them down i"m thinkin , smelly jelly and XD 40 being mine

thanks fellas

FD

finished up the worst of the spoons ,

the laquer thinner and pollish made em like new , unreal ,
don't be scared of the thinner , just be carefull .You could re clear them if desired , think ya can
buy a can of clear at lordco quite cheap , will make them last a little longer perhaps. I think the manufacturers coat them to
accomodate the average fisher that doesn't rinse them off regularly . If you maintain them , store the dry , the fish don't kill them first ,they should last a while

FD

How about some pics of the finished product Felix? BTW,132 spoons isn't a lot....it's all relative....

This is THE Stuff:

wenol-metal-polish-3-oz-4673847.jpg

Incredible finish. Takes a little effort if a badly corroded spoon (use Red Bull first) but gives an absolutely AMAZING fine finish! We use this exclusively on the commercial rig! Tested and TRUE! ;)

Cheers,
Nog

I'll post some pics of before and after once I get the right light...the ones I took there is so much glare from the polished spoon (lol) you can't see the difference between the chrome and brass on the wonder spoons. I've used most of the products and hand rubbing before. A lot of work and time to get the results. I still say the dremel is the ticket. The worst neglected finish still comes up to new in no time. Work smarter not harder!!! lol

Here is a Wonder Spoon before and after. This one was the worst, it got shoved into corner and forgotten. I can't get rid of the glare so it is very hard to see the difference between the chrome and the brass. The glare makes the chrome look much like brass. (colour bleed over)
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Back