Polar bear vortex score

tubber

My neighbour's dad is moving to seniorland, and won't be hitting the salt anymore, so I was given a couple tackle boxes. There was lots of 70s-90s typical rusty junk like browned out hootchies and giant steelhead tee spoons, but also some useful Tom Mack's, Henry Smith's, flashtails, buzz bombs, zingers, a world famous Charlie White lure, and a couple medium Norwegian cod jigs.
And these- some are close to 8" long- hippy bears.
He loved the light purple apparently.
There are also some Cowichan spinners that feel like abalone when nibbled on. Most are unused.
IMG_20221022_203937746.jpg

Similar score for myself recently as well. PB "Buck tails" and skip flies. Purple was quite prevalent in this collection as well. Friend of April point that fished coho in the summer and winter springs with the spinners out front of CR.

I haven't used bucktails in salt water since I was a kid. I remember fishing out of Sidney in the 70s with my Dad and Grandpa, behind James Island in the shallow water, sometimes being able to see Coho shoot up behind flies close to the boat and and grab them. Polar bear hair was supposed to be the best, but even when I started flytying at around 12 it was hard to get and expensive. The last I got was when the Royal Coachman fly tying shop closed out in Victoria.
I assume there are times when they would work well in places like Wilby shoals out of CR. I may have to tie some up out of buck tail or artificial hair to try next summer. I think I may have a few old stained originals on rusty hooks in a box somewhere, might have to retie them onto new hooks. It would be fun to do that and use them.

There are still times when coho stack up so thick and so hungry that anything stronger than a safety pin will haul in a few fish. Being in right place at right time is the true art of fishing.

My neighbour's dad is moving to seniorland, and won't be hitting the salt anymore, so I was given a couple tackle boxes. There was lots of 70s-90s typical rusty junk like browned out hootchies and giant steelhead tee spoons, but also some useful Tom Mack's, Henry Smith's, flashtails, buzz bombs, zingers, a world famous Charlie White lure, and a couple medium Norwegian cod jigs.
And these- some are close to 8" long- hippy bears.
He loved the light purple apparently.
There are also some Cowichan spinners that feel like abalone when nibbled on. Most are unused.
View attachment 86315
He must have been a Campbell River fisherman as the purple and white bucktail was the "go to" pattern for that area.

Back