pod design

I'm considering doing the same to my boat but it is a bigger boat, 29 feet, weighs 10,000 lbs. I'm thinking of two 200 HP outboards. I'm very curious how much the out boards, when tilted up, add to the length of your boat.

What is the distance, with motor tilted up, from transom to tip of prop?

10 000 lbs..... Twin 250 or better twin 300. By no means am I an expert but I think a 30' Grady is that weight and twin 200 would take so time to plane and burn more fuel than pulling back the sticks on 300's.

my 23' is now 27.5' long (4.5' of pod and motor)
add another 2' if motor is lifted out.

I also think you would need twin 300s for your 10,000lb boat

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome photos. When podding a boat that was an inboard, is it necessary to add struts from the transom to the floor/stringers to add strength?

Cheers, I.I.

10 000 lbs..... Twin 250 or better twin 300. By no means am I an expert but I think a 30' Grady is that weight and twin 200 would take so time to plane and burn more fuel than pulling back the sticks on 300's.

The boat has enough power now with Volvo stern drives rated at 190 hp each. 3200 rpm for 20 knots. As pods are supposed to add efficiency, why would I need significantly more power than i have now??

Awesome photos. When podding a boat that was an inboard, is it necessary to add struts from the transom to the floor/stringers to add strength?

Cheers, I.I.
It is not necessary, the weight is spread over a larger area of the transom and you would have to rip the entire transom off to to have a failure. I put just a pod on my boat and added dog legs but it was not needed. I have 635 pound verado hanging off my original 1984, 20' hourston hull, with a 9.9 four stroke on an aluminum dss pod next to it. Been off shore in some snotty weather and no issues. Trailered to gold river numerous times on the heavy road, no cracks or issues at all.

It is not necessary, the weight is spread over a larger area of the transom and you would have to rip the entire transom off to to have a failure. I put just a pod on my boat and added dog legs but it was not needed. I have 635 pound verado hanging off my original 1984, 20' hourston hull, with a 9.9 four stroke on an aluminum dss pod next to it. Been off shore in some snotty weather and no issues. Trailered to gold river numerous times on the heavy road, no cracks or issues at all.

Thanks for the reply!

My searay had a strong enough transom to just bolt the pod with good sized hardware. You can really see how the weight distribution works from the inside.

I have a 21 K & C podded and still under construction and I was curious if the inboard and leg were part of the support and if taking that out changed anything.
Sounds like it will be ok, the transom has been rebuilt and the corners are being beefed up with glass via the overhaul and new gunnels etc.

If your boat is seaworthy you won't need extra bracing. If it's not then consider fixing it before putting a pod on.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

attachment.php

its been done & in the water for 6 weeks. sorry forgot to update.

Attachments

• 2015-08-28 16.35.12.jpg
    2015-08-28 16.35.12.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 365
runs great, although I feel like it sits too high out of the water when planning.

glad I did NOT remove my trim tabs.

maybe the motor would benefit from a 1.5" lift higher this winter.

Back