Pocket knives

Brett83

What kind of pocket knifes do you guys use? I'm a bit of a collector and have a bunch of unusual and weird knives. But i have a few rotational daily users. Wondering what the pros use. Currently I've been carrying the Benchmade Osborn or the spider co paramilitary 2.

My son brought me an Opinel home when he finished a master's degree in Paris.
Lee Valley has them.
I like a $6.00 serated Victorinox on the boat.

at work i have a milwaukee pocket knife so i don't feel bad when I lose it. Day to day either a benchmade bugout, griptilian or an old klein mini pocket knife I won at a suppliers tool day. In the bush, benchmade steep country or remington clip point

I just bought a BM Bugout, I’m a sucker for light weight which it appears to have the prize for in that size category. If you are looking at BM the price went up a few weeks ago, you may be able to find a vendor who hasn’t yet forced the increase but it will take some effort. Precision Optics had an excellent Black Friday sale, though not sure if it’s still valid.

I like folders for pocket carry.

Kershaw Knockout is my day to day for the last 10 years.

I like my Benchmade North Fork too.

Para 3 or a BM Griptilian my more popular carries. Have quite a few less expensive knives that I like as well. Liking micarta handles.

Use to have one of these in my pocket all the time years ago. Lots of commercial guys used them when working on their nets. Victornox. The cutting edge has a single bevel. Very sharp and maintained a good edge on new twine but not so much on used net once grit got in the twine/rope.

a.jpeg

I went down the rabbit hole recently looking for a new lightweight EDC knife. The Benchmade Bugout and Spyderco Para 3 lightweight are definitely the most popular choices in that category.

I ended up with a Hogue Deka. Very comparable to the Bugout in terms of size, weight and ergonomics (both use the same type of locking mechanism). The deciding factor for me was that I could get the Deka with CPM Magnacut, which is a new blade steel that while having similar edge retention as S30V / S35V steels, rates at the top for both toughness (resistance to chipping) and, most importantly since I wanted a knife I could take on the boat, corrosion resistance. There’s a whole write up in Magnacut on knifesteelnerds.com if you want to learn more (like I said, I went down the rabbit hole…).

As a bonus, the Deka comes in a few dollars cheaper than the Bugout. I’ve been super happy with it in the month I’ve had it. Very easy open with both thumb or reverse middle finger flick and one handed close. Came with a great edge from the factory which I recently touched up and is amazingly sharp.

799B7401-9747-45F3-B2D1-62E4BC7DBE62.jpeg

0D6C2B35-0532-401A-851A-68EBC7CDD497.jpeg

AA54A679-A378-4CC1-9216-DA474F91E7AF.jpeg

Use to have one of these in my pocket all the time years ago. Lots of commercial guys used them when working on their nets. Victornox. The cutting edge has a single bevel. Very sharp and maintained a good edge on new twine but not so much on used net once grit got in the twine/rope.

View attachment 87280
This is what I have been using for more than 30 years, Victorinox grafting knife (I've gone through a couple keeping them sharpened). I used to work in horticulture and a grafting knife was always handy to have in my pocket. I realized they had many other uses and still carry one wherever I am.

...Rob

View attachment 87280
I have 2 of these , never without one in my pocket for my 35 year commercial fishing career. Alot of net work repairs with these. Not what I carry now daily but still one of my all time favs

For strictly a pocket knife, I have been carrying one of those smallest Victorianox Classic knives for many many years now. Has everything a guy needs, small sharp blade, file, screw driver, scissors, tooth pick and tweezers. Everything a guy needs. Feel naked without it

Attachments

• IMG_3011.jpeg
    IMG_3011.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 17
For strictly a pocket knife, I have been carrying one of those smallest Victorianox Classic knives for many many years now. Has everything a guy needs, small sharp blade, file, screw driver, scissors, tooth pick and tweezers. Everything a guy needs. Feel naked without it

Had a couple of those confiscated by airport security at comox over the yrs lol

Had a couple of those confiscated by airport security at comox over the yrs lol
My wife has lost 2 of those for the exact same reason albeit at Bellingham and I've lost a couple of the klein pocket knives (they're mini versions of the buck110 but still with 440 steel)
On another note bought 2 Spyderco Para3 seconds from the sale yesterday. Looking forward to adding those to the collection

Yep, I keep one on my key chain! Does almost everything a guy might need.

61Gyohtf8WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

this has been my constant companion for 15+ years. everything from firefighting to cutting the core out of my apple
aus 8 stainless blade keeps a pretty good edge

Back