Poaching etc.

michael_reiber

Took the dog down to the Nanaimo river a couple times today and sat and watched the salmon jump around, but each time I went down there, there were people snagging salmon with weighted treble hooks, and I just got back from the river right now and theres guys with head lamps snagging salmon they showed up after me and landed 2 in about 5 minutes so I can only imagine how many they've killed now, not to mention that the river isn't even open for retention of salmon, its a dying river and it makes me feel sick to see this happening. I called DFO and made a report 3 times today, by the 3rd time the guy already knew it was me before I started talking, nothing got done the first 2 times, hopefully this third time something will but who knows, I had a conversation with him and I understand that its hard for them to do anything because they just don't have enough enforcers out due to budget cuts etc, but looking for a little bit of input on what can be done as I feel like a broken record calling every single day. I care a ton about our fishery, and would love to get more involved and help solve these problems but I am unsure of where to start...

Take pictures of them and their vehicles for ID then send it to DFO? I would think DFO will follow up eventually if they have hard evidence. The poachers may even stop altogether if they see they are being documented.

Back