Pliers

paulo

Curious as to what everyone is using for onboard pliers. Stainless does not last. I tried a pair of Mustad aluminum pliers, they broke the other day after about 2 1/2 yrs crimping a barb on a 7/0 hook. Handle broke. What aluminum's do you guys like?

The cheap 8 inch Brico's at the Liquidators for 3.99 each.
I've had a set of Mastercraps for three seasons now they get a shot of WD every time I go out and they work like a charm. Rusty as all hell.

I've had a set of Mastercraps for three seasons now they get a shot of WD every time I go out and they work like a charm. Rusty as all hell.
I give them a shot of fluid film in the joint once in a while. They last just as long as those cheap ss ones and no remorse if a wild coho knocks it out of your hand. I always have a spare pair aboard

These I like. They have lasted a few years now.

View attachment 69727
I used those for a couple seasons, but the jaws were more and more out of alignment. Got them for $15 from an Island Outfitter sale and they did the trick until I couldn't grab anything.

Garage sale pliers on this boat. One season and into the metal recycling pile they go.

Last edited:
Curious as to what everyone is using for onboard pliers. Stainless does not last. I tried a pair of Mustad aluminum pliers, they broke the other day after about 2 1/2 yrs crimping a barb on a 7/0 hook. Handle broke. What aluminum's do you guys like?
Like others have said just use cheap pliers and free them up with fluid film and WD40 once in a while. I have had 2 expensive SS pliers in my many years fishing, neither lasted a year before they disappeared overboard. I have a cheap Can. Tire pair on my boat now that is at least 5 years old, looks poor (rusty) but works great. If it were to drop overboard its fine, I have a few spares on board.
...Rob

I use a very old pair of yellow handled fuller needle noses that my dad gave me, built in the 70s era and made in Canada, they are rusty but it seems to protect them and has not exploded in rust like the cheepies from CT do. I barely ever even lube them and yet they stay so smooth. Those aluminum ones look nice though.

I have a pair of the P Line aluminum pliers. Being on the belt with a cord is convenient once you get used to it, especially as I have thrown every other pair I have had overboard. I find I need a heavier pair for some things, like if I need to crush a barb on a heavy hook.

I have a pair of carbon fiber composite pliers that I have used for many years. Light weight, no rust, replaceable cutters. Expensive up front, but I would have probably bought 3 or 4 other pairs by now. Aluminum would be more cost effective if you can find a high quality pair.

A few years back princess auto had these cuda pliers and side cutters on sale for like 8 bucks or something so i bought a few sets gave some away wish I hadnt as they are awesome no rust after 2 years titanium i did have the long needle nose till I allowed a client to "release" a fish beside boat and yes plunk in they went!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have the side cutters and a knife left and HUGE grips for my mitts I see amazon has them.

^ same Cuda pliers on the shelf in my local Canadian Tire for 34.99. Thanks for the tip!

Basic needle nose pliers. Give em a buff on the wire wheel each year and some lube and they look and work like new.... sort of (looks wise! Ha!)

I buy the cheap one's and dip them in salt water anytime they get rusty. Instantly frees up any seized plier....really! May seem counter intuitive, but it works amazingly well. No more messy WD-40 for me and the price is right...free!

Back