Planning a 7 day fishing trip in early May. Where would you fish?

Sargasso

Hi All,

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while, but now it's time to pitch few questions.

I'm planning fishing trip for myself and friends who will be flying in on April 30th, staying through May 9th. The short story is that we're looking for recommendations for the best places to fish at that time of year. I should mention that we are conscientious anglers; catch + release, no trash left behind.

The three of us are starting the trip with a sturgeon charter on May 1st, but rest is open ended.

What do forum members recommend for that time of year? We don't have a boat, just float tubes. The preliminary plan is a roadtrip around the Interior doing hike-ins to trout lakes, rivers, and streams. We have spin, medium/heavy casting, and fly setups. Boat rentals are a consideration, we may get a charter for springs and lingcod on the coast towards the end of the trip. We're thinking of doing Chilliwack, through Merritt, Kamloops, Cache Creek, Pemberton, Whistler etc. This is not set in stone, I've had some good days fishing around Wells Gray/Clearwater, we can change the plan and go north, farther west... I'm open to suggestions. Hike-in lakes and rivers are our current target. We have plenty of time, we're open to travel and we'd like to fish as many places and species as possible. Trout, salmon, steelhead, bass, lingcod, halibut...

Where is the best action in early May?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll let other with real knowledge comment, but just note that everything in the southern interior is a month early this year: snow runoff, lake ice-off, lake level changes, creek flows etc.

Roche and surrounding lakes look excellent. Thanks for the tip, they are now on the list.

We've been looking at Tunkwa Lake resort for accommodation and boat rental. Has anyone fished there? What are some other must-fish locations that we could include on our road trip? They don't neccesarily have to be on the itinerary I originally outlined.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Roche and surrounding lakes look excellent. Thanks for the tip, they are now on the list.

We've been looking at Tunkwa Lake resort for accommodation and boat rental. Has anyone fished there? What are some other must-fish locations that we could include on our road trip? They don't neccesarily have to be on the itinerary I originally outlined.

Thanks again!

my ex girlfriend and I stayed at Tunkwa Lake for Canada day long weekend 2 years ago, we rented a boat and did some fishing. Good place to camp, good boats, nice lake to fish. Lots of wildlife. You won't be disappointed.

my ex girlfriend and I stayed at Tunkwa Lake for Canada day long weekend 2 years ago, we rented a boat and did some fishing. Good place to camp, good boats, nice lake to fish. Lots of wildlife. You won't be disappointed.

Very encouraging. We'll heed that advice, which means we're set for 3-4 days.

Now, what about the upper Fraser and the Lilooet/Pemberton region? Would it be worth driving north, to 100 Mile House or Quesnel at this time of year?

Very encouraging. We'll heed that advice, which means we're set for 3-4 days.

Now, what about the upper Fraser and the Lilooet/Pemberton region? Would it be worth driving north, to 100 Mile House or Quesnel at this time of year?

Absolutely prime time for all Interior Lakes I would say go for it!

After booking some cabins at Tunkwa, a few weeks of reading, planning, and a scouting roadtrip, I now own a 10' trout pram kitted out with sonar and a trolling motor. I'm looking to buy some downriggers. Go figure.

Is there a particualar lake that would be recommended for Kokanee during the first week of May?

I would also consider Horse Lake in 100 Mile House. Superb resort, lots of fish and many fantastic fishing lakes within minuets drive.

If heading to Horse Lk, Deka Lk is also good for kokanee in that area … though, Horse and Deka are a bit large for a 10ft pram. Roche Lake and the smaller lakes around it - Horseshoe, Bleeker, John Frank and Black are perfect for a little pram. Wouldn't suggest down riggers on any of those lakes as they are prime fly water and the trout will be on the shoals feeding - size 12-16 ice cream cone chironomid under an indicator or bobber (i.e. black, red rib, white bead) is the go to set up in spring on Roche. Also be sure to have olive and chrome chronnies in the same sizes or the other Roche go to - either a brown or maroon micro leech twitched or wind drifted. Target shoals in the 8-15ft range and you'll do well.

Cheers!

Ukee

White Lake outside Salmon Arm. Good campsite nice marl lake and s/b very good early May. Community Lake up Hefley Ck way same thing with trophy fish. Warren Lake near there is another trophy lake. Jimmy Lake near Falkland is a gem in a bellyboat. gl

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, I can't wait to put this advice to the test (not to mention our angling skills). We'll be at Tunkwa all weekend, and roadtripping from Sunday to next Friday. Don't hesitate to add to the list, I have zero objections to having to make a second trip later in the season.

This is a departure from trout fishing, but Largemouth Bass in the Lower Mainland or Interior. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, I can't wait to put this advice to the test (not to mention our angling skills). We'll be at Tunkwa all weekend, and roadtripping from Sunday to next Friday. Don't hesitate to add to the list, I have zero objections to having to make a second trip later in the season.

This is a departure from trout fishing, but Largemouth Bass in the Lower Mainland or Interior. Any suggestions?

Vaseux Lake near Oliver has some big largies, no powered boats allowed though.

Osoyoos Lake is awesome for both large and smallmouth bass, May and Sept are the best months with good fishing through the summer. Start in Solana Bay and go from there. In the lower mainland the list is long. Silvermere Lake has the best fishing, access is limited. Mill Lake fishes ok, good access. Try the shallow bay by the board walk for early/late day top-water. Some of the lesser know spots include Pitt Marsh (area 51), Fish Trap Creek, Hatzic Lake, and the golf course lakes throughout the valley. PM me for more detailed info if you'd like.

Late September road trip: Where would you fish?

Thanks again for the great advice last Spring everyone, I had a great trip largely due to advice from Sportfishing BC members.

I'd like to revive this thread, except for mid/late September fishing road trips. My dad is flying out and we're going to do an extended weekend trip, starting from Vancouver. Where would you go? Too bad a lot of the salmon fisheries are closed this Fall, otherwise I wouldn't have to ask. We're up for any fishery you can think of, we have four-five days and a small boat powered by an electric trolling motor.

Focus on the estuaries, tidal water. Plenty of salmon around. I might be biased being from the island, but there is certainly a lot of options here in the fall.

Back