Pippen's "Mancation" July 21-24

Pippen

A little late posting this up but here we go.

Well......it was definitely one of the funniest trips I have been on and right up there with our trip to Nootka last year. Lots of fish.....good laughs, good eats, a few bevies, LOTS of cowbell and the weather cooperated with the exception of some rollers and wind on Thursday.
Here are some pics of the trip to Tofino........I don’t know how much they are in chronological order as I had to compile pictures from 3-4 different cameras so all the boys would have copies. There are a few where the focus may not be great....which I equate to either a hangover in the morning or a couple of cocktails going into the afternoon.
As you will be able to tell......we don’t take ourselves too seriously and this about lots of fun with old friends. Lots of constant ribbing going on......and the glasses were something I picked up at the dollar store for everyone just “in case” there was “flat light”....hahaha.

Lots of fish....we never rang the "tyee bell"......but those fish in the mid to upper 20's fought like crazy....and with plenty of around the tyee was never a concern. (althought we did lose one close to the boat that would have been very, very close). We all had limits of springs, coho and hali's.....with tons of springer/coho's released during the days out there.

Here is a shot or two of “home”.....for 3-4 days.

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thursday morning we were off to the races......with hopes high for everyone after reports from my buddy and also from Tofinoguy/Nog as to what to expect.
DSC_0004.jpg

It was a bit bumpy on Thursday but there was no shortage of fish.....the rollers provided for a bit of “combat fishing” but we had lots of fun none the less.
DSC_0006.jpg

Had a funny hail on the radio from Tofinoguy who didn’t realize he was talking to me but telling our Captain to make sure I didn’t puke all over his nice new clean boat. Little did he know that I wasn’t the resident puker.......but he was already hard at it. He actually put the patch on but it hadn’t quite taken effect yet and I will say.....it is impressive what it can do for a guy who has had issues with puking on 4 trips in the past 2 years!!

IMG_3235.jpg

But....we were getting into the fish.

DSC_0018.jpg

My buddy who flew down from Smithers couldn’t stop laughing as this was his first trip meeting the other two guys and first time he had ever seen ocean fishing like this.....he’s a serious river fisherman but is already “in” for next year; smiles galore!!

IMG_1020.jpg

Glory shot after day 1......not sure who snapped it but they are certainly not a “pro” with the focus.

DSC_0046.jpg

A nice cocktail to finish the day on the deck.
DSC_0111.jpg

After puking......the puker decided to take a bit or revenge for taking a ribbing when the “wee fella” decided to take a nap.....he almost crapped himself when he woke up.
DSC_0177.jpg

Early morning arrival.
DSC_0224.jpg

We had great weather and seas after that......
DSC_0252.jpg

Had this fella tip his hat to us on our way offshore.
DSC_0260.jpg

No place I would rather be.....with 4 great friends.
DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

A sort of offering to the fish gods.

DSC_0152.jpg

All sorts of trash talking when a fish is on; and cowbell as you can see in my right hand.

DSC_0149.jpg

And smiles to follow!
DSC_0160.jpg

Great seas into the afternoon!
DSC_0163.jpg

Lance’s (co winner of the Morrsion Derby) boat couldn’t stop laughing as we were looking for hali’s and all they could hear was tunes....laughing.....trash talking and cow bells anytime a fish was on. The "calm" water carried the sound pretty well.

DSC_0276.jpg

Our Captain assuring us......we were in safe hands if pirates showed up.

DSC_0286.jpg

And....giving his Bob Izumi tutorial of how to catch halibut......

IMG_1035.jpg

Offloading the carnage at the end of the day.
DSC_0172.jpg

Wee fella was doing his best to make the days salmon look like the Seattle Fish Market. "Scotty...it's all about the presentation".

DSC_0176.jpg

One hell of a trip.....too many laughs as we all were cracking up with the hip hop tunes......by guide buddy doing his best imitations day in and day out of Bob Izumi.....everything was laughs from 5am until we finally called it quits and hit the sack.
If there is anyone teetering about making a trek out there......do it......from my understanding the weather and seas through the month have been pretty darn good and the fishing is outstanding. Lots of springs.....halis were fine for us but nothing big.....lots of ho’s within a short run of the harbour.

Oh....and of note!!! If any of you Tofino or Ukie guys find a red "beer cozy" with all sorts of writing on it from a bar in Australia....it didn't drift all the way across; it originated it's journey atop the seas....around Portland.:(

Hell of a trip that is now a sunset with lots of laughs until next year.

DSC_0124.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great times Scott!!!!!

Nothing better than friends and fishing....and good weather to help!!!!!

Nice report!!

Anymore trips???

Cheers

SS

Anymore trips???

Cheers

SS

Trying to sneak over to Ukie for a quick 2 day mid-week as BCI left his boat over there but with work stuff going on/GF's birthday next weekend it is likely not gonna happen.

But.....I still have Kyuquot to look forward to on the 19th-25th. We are going late this year....hoping for it to be like it was apparently last year. By mid to late August I was getting e-mails from a friend who lives/guides up there that there were LOTS of big fish around and no guests really to catch them. He was getting a few above 40 but mid-30's was kind of the "norm". He also said the coho action on fly gear was unbelievable. Hoping if the weather cooperates to head out to the "highway" this year as we have mostly been at the reef the past few.

Great thread Pippen! Looks like a really good time, hopefully I'll be able to organize a similar trip with my friends next year (thinking winter harbour).

Some of the pics aren't working for me, but I think that is because I am using a computer at work. I'll take a second look at this thread when I get home.

Cheers!

Great Humpback shot-there are so many out there but not they're easiest thing to photograph.

That was actually a grey that was farting around on the inside. I have a new Canon 60D so it can take the pics pretty quickly. We were surrounded in Humpbacks when we got outside....they were absolutely everywhere.

Back