Picking the right flasher

Highliner

I'd like to hear some thoughts on how you pick your flasher. Do you match your flasher to the bait/lure you are using? Or do you pick the flasher colur base on the depth you are fishing? I'm not familiar with the relationship between depths and colours.

Or do some of you just throw any old flasher on and send it down?

Any thoughts or tips would be great.

Cheers,

Highliner

Usually I run 1 red and 1 green hotspot. Unless I notice 1 or the other way out preforming, But I usually just run 1 of each. I think the flasher might matter a little less than the roll on the bait.. or the color of the coyote spoon ;)

Pick any flasher you want.........as long as it has green in it. ;)

In all seriousness, my box has about 8 green or green combinations. 1 blue/silver, 1 red/silver, 1 purple haze, 1 all silver and one silver with orange stripe. I dont think the last 3 have ever been used? Anyhoo, just remember, green is the last colour to diapear in the deep water. If your below 60 foot, cant go wrong with green in my book.

Good luck

I don't think it realy matters. I use the clear plaid checker. I think whatever you feel confident with is the way to go. I agree with Robert that the spoon or bait, length of leader ect. is far more important. Remember the flasher is only an attractor.
Steve41:D

I've recently experimented with a new flasher design (at least to me) that has a pin type attachment at the bottom that detaches when you set the hook. It makes that small 5lb Pink or Coho feel like a much bigger fish as the fish is no longer fighting against the pull of the flasher. After landing the fish, you just pop the pin back into the bottom of the flasher and you are fishing again.

I got them from Island Outfitters but can't remember the brand name and they aren't listed on the website. Personally, I find that the paint peels off the Hotspot flashers after a couple of months.

gibbs "farr better flasher" - never tried, just seemed like hassle - how often does the pin pull without a fish on the end?

I use the green and blue and purple flashers when trolling deep , red hot spot and gold betsy from 45 ft and up.

AL

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

gibbs "farr better flasher" - never tried, just seemed like hassle - how often does the pin pull without a fish on the end?

When you first buy them they work unbelievably awesome!! But awfter time, the pin seems to fall out easier aden easier... at least from my experience

The American version is Jim's Breakaway Flasher. The guy swears by them. I bought two and never used them, cause he drove me crazy later telling me that they were the best thing ever made and wanted to come to our fishing club to speak. They probably do work great on small fish.

The Gibbs looks like it uses the same little red pin that goes in the herring helmet. Maybe you could replace it with one of these as it wears out? unless its the hole in the flasher going bad. If you were down here I would give you both of my Jim's.

I have a friend who absolutely hates those flashers because the pin wears out and the flasher trips prematurely. If you want to get away from fighting the flasher, rig the flasher to the rigger ball and run chovy straight from the release. Otherwise put the flasher in line. I thing those breakaway flashers can be more hassle than they are worth.

So here's a question. When running a dummy flasher off the cannon ball, how far back do you set your bait on the mainline? I'm assuming that the flasher would be on a two or three foot leader from the cannon ball. How far back do you clip your mainline so that the fish can still see it when attracted by the flasher, but not so close that they become scared of the cannon ball?

We run the dummy 6' behind the canon ball and then the anchovy 6' up and 12' back. that should prevent any tangles. Flasher is just to attract the fish. In the Charlottes they just use bait and no flasher.

Roll or bait action is what really counts.If you want or need to use a flasher then any flasher will do as long as it is green...If you are fishing below 50 feet then red is a waste of effort.Light gear or no flasher is in my opinion the way to go..Good luck

Bet you all want to know what i have been running out there lately LOL LOL:D:D:DSo here goes Green prism

Wolf

I find the best ones for northern vancouver island are the green with gold inside, and red with gold inside. although later in the year the green with the green stripe does quite well too. I'd say the roll is definately most important, but the color of the head you are using for anchovy is critical as well.

David
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

what about dodgers? down in the straights(neah bay, sekiu areas) it seems we do better with dodgers than flashers, I know we have to troll a lot faster with the flashers, difficlty in finding decent herring keeps us trolling hootchies more than anything else, although we also plan on pulling spoons this year, have picked up a couple of light canon downriggers to try this year, we were going to go to neah bay today, but the state of Wa. just announced one more day of halibut fishing next weekend on Sunday. Info on running attracters off of cannonball instead of inline was helpful, will try next time, we may have to go both weekends as salmon fishing may not be open the same day (!??&$#!! Wa. regs!!) Have considered herring holders to help deal with soft herring, anyone got any tips as to brands or usage? I will speak to the "boss" upon her awakening to see if both weekends work. thanks, bob

Thats weird seringeti when I go up there (malcom,blackfish sound area)I find that red crushed pearl is my best flasher by far there it outfishes the many many others I have tried and as the crow flies were about only 20 miles apart!!! just proves one thing it all depends on what WE like to use and what were confident on using!!!

Wolf

Hottest flasher in my war-chest these days:
Oki - UV plastic blade, mirror (no, not plaid, MIRROR</u>) with blue-green mist on one leading edge. This has been pulling them faster than any other on the WCVI. Of course it helps to have the right spoons and hootchies to drag behind them :D

Action on The Big Bank has picked up tremendously the last little while. Easy limits dragging deep for flatties, and springs into the 30's!! It's Time!! See those of you who can make it out there...

Cheers,
Nog - Toddling back to "work" within the hour...

Now why do I have a "Monkey Puke" flasher in my arsenal?
Never used it and still haven't figured out why I bought it.
It must have been one of those winter days when I was thinking about fishing and needed to get a fishing fix of some kind.
Amazing how much gear you can accumulate, just on the off chance that you might need it somday.

Back