Photos of West Coast Storm

Sushihunter

Here is a couple of photos of the Leiner River, just outside of Tahsis, BC:

Leiner.River.jpg

Yes, that is the same river! The one from 2009 was taken from the center of the bridge, the one from 2010, I was much closer to the end of the bridge as it was vibrating when I walked out on to it! [:0]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

As some of you are aware, we had recored rain falls here on the North Island and Central Coast.

Between Friday morning and Sat afternoon, some areas around Hardy, McNeill and Alice recieved as much as 289mm of rain (for you metric challenged folks, that is ~1'). The rain averaged between 265 and 289mm, except for the Artlish, which recieved 429mm and Effingham, which recieved 378mm.

This has cause wide spread flooding, landslides and road closures on the North Island. The road washed out to Holberg, trapping 50 people who do not live there. It is expected that it could take up to three weeks to get the road open. The road to Zeballos is washed out as well. The community of Kingcome Inlet was basically washed away, lots of damage to infastructure and some houses.

One of the worst hit is the Bella Coola Valley, where mother Nature really showed who is boss. They recieved 257mm of rain over a 36 hour time frame, plus are expecting another 100mm by the end of today.

Check out the pictures posted on Facebook.....

]http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=162251003786009&view=all

It could be 6-8 weeks before the road is opened to allow traffic back into the valley. The "Hill" was also damaged and it could be month before that gets fixed.

It sounds like BC Ferries will be putting on extra sailing to help the valley out. So if you have an elk tag for the North Island, give WFP in Woss or McNeill a call for road access and if you are planning a late season grizz hunt in the Valley.....good luck.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

What a big mess-- and not a thing we could do about it. We really are puny creatures. Any word on how the Snootli and Quatse hatcheries made out?

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

As of yesterday, Snootli was the only place you could get drinking water from. I have heard it made out OK. Dennis is a great guy!!!

Last I heard, the Quatse was OK. It is amazing how things can go back to normal. The Cluxewe was at full flood from the rains on the weekend, yesterday it was pretty well back to normal, with good flow.

Time will tell if the fish were affected.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Wow, that's the Epcor treatment plant in Hardy 2' underwater, isn't it? Hope the sewage managed to stay where it belongs...

Wow...the pictures on Facebook are unreal. Looks like it made some unreal quadding opportunities. But I hope everyone didn't have too much damage! How would this affect the fish going up the river? In 4 years should the central coast expect low returns of Chinook?

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Back