PFD's

scott craven

I'm interested to see how many fishermen wear their PFD'S every time they are on the water ?
I'm seriously thinking about getting an inflatable for those times i'm
fishing on my own.

When I am alone-- always. It will make it easier to retrieve my body...

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I wear my when I am alone or when it gets really rough. Otherwise it just sits in my gear bag. Being that your are to wear a PFD at all times if that is what you have on board. I carry a couple of new key hole life vests still in their bags. PFD's not worn doesn't get you past coast gaurd regs.

I always wear a mustang inflatable, and so does my passenger, no matter who they think they are! They are light and not the least bit cumbersome, so why not. In fact, they would be way more in the way if they were just lying around.

Depends on the boat, fished a lot out of a friend's 15.5' RIH and it was fun but 'close to the action'. [:eek:)]

Other bigger boats not so much but I have a Mustang inflatable and if the Capt says so.....

Always</u> on the Fraser River, that's a dangerous place.

I wear mine all the time. If I go boating with friends I take it and wear it. I look at it as safety equipment and I have never had it interfere with any type of fishing. I like the new one I bought last year as,it has a soft collar to it.

I wear my auto inflate Mustangs pfd or Mustang floater most of the time when I have other people on the boat, but, all of the time when I'm solo or the water is rough. I also have a strobe clipped inside the pfd as an added precaution. I went out this year and bought a PLB after hearing about the four NFL players in Ft. Lauderdale that capsized with only one surviving. The more tools the greater the chance of surviving.

Matador

I always wear my auto inflate Mustang, Felt very secure until I did my yearly check over on the unit and found the CO2 cartridge had worked itself loose and was not attached in any way. Just a heads up as its a sick feeling knowing you were out in some very heavy water the trip prior and felt safe, when indeed you were at risk.

Mustang bomber jacket in the winter, keeps me warm and I find it quite comfortable. Crappy tire special.
In the summer I get a bit lazy and don't wear unless am by myself or water is rough. Been thinking of getting one of them inflatables but $170+ hmmmm....whats one's life worth?
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

I wear a mustang self inflatable...what good am I to my guests if I fall over board and drown before they can figure out how to steer the boat back to pick me up. I'm not too proud to wear a vest...and have taken a few cheap shots from other guides for wimping out, but I would rather be like the pilot saying..."there's old pilots, but there are NO old, bold pilots!"

Searun

th_067.jpg

i have an inflatable, wear it 75% + of the time. Comforatable and i forget its there, but its one of the HIT ones and it makes me a little nervous knowing that i have to rely on something working/tripping mechanically to make it go off.. i want to jump into the lake to see if it does infact work for piece of mind.. but at 75$ a refill i havnt tried it yet.

Caught the last ferry with my 11' Boston Whaler in tow on June 30/09. Drove to Alder Bay. Slept 1 hour. Caught a 26 lb spring on the backside of Malcolm. No halibut. Long nap in the aftenoon. Put prawn trap down in Beaver Cove after dinner. Was making a slow turn at high speed around another prawner in a small chop, trying to see what his haul was. Didn't see what turned out to be a 6' piece of dark half sunk lumber. It got between the outboard and the transom and I was upside down in less than a second. Pulled the cord on the new Mustang manual. Swam over, climbed up on the bottom of the boat, grabbed a tie up line that happened to be tied midship. Pulled the boat back upright by falling back into the water. Other prawner towed me back to Alder Bay. Home in the Okanagan by noon of July 2nd to work on the outboard and make the insurance claim for all the stuff that fell out of the boat. Still feeling very fortunate in a number of ways. I always wear my PFD when on any boat, even though I never used to through about 10 commercial seasons and hundreds of sportfishing trips. Too many reponsibilitites to die now plus I don't feel quite so invulnerable as I once did.

100% of the time, either my survival suit (2 piece) top on all the time. Or my Mustang vest in the summer. I saw a couple of "accidents" in Barclay Sound years ago.
Yeah, I'm going to have an accident in a half hour I'll put it on just before then.
Dan

Being one of those “old” “bold” pilots myself (yea, there are a few of us around), there are a couple of other quotes that come to mind. I can relate to both of these!

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.”

“Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment.”

With me, it depends on the boat, its size, and conditions whether “I” personally wear one or not, but even with my boat when I say it's time for life jackets – they are put on - by everyone, and I have had those times. As pointed out… things happen “fast”! I can honestly say, I have never pre-planned on “jumping” into the water with all my clothes (and wallet), but can remember finding myself getting out of the water more than once! Wearing a PFD on a small boat – is always a very good idea!

Thinking back… and something not mentioned, “most” I have helped out of the water (including myself and wife) have actually been around the “docks” and getting “on or off” boats might want to consider those PFDs prior to getting to the boat? I carry my Grandkids jackets with me, they are kept in my garage… and with them, the life jackets go on at the car and stay on while running.

Just thoughts!

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Me always...Mustang 3010 (manual)--used it for years--almost time for a new one--now its just part of the routine, like buckling up is in the truck. Kids 16 and under have to wear life jackets always. Other adults their choice. I've noticed a lot more guys wearing PFDs out there.

Back