PENN Fathom 2 Speed 30DL2 reel opions...

kyjelly44

Well, just wondering if any out there is using this reel? had some west marine points to use and stumbled around the store and picked out one of these. going to be using for halibut of course. right now I have my basic halibut starter kit Penn 320 GTi.
its an aluminum case body(cant afford them machined ones yet), so a bit of an upgrade I think over the graphite...

Specifications:
Model: FTH30LD2

Braid Capacity (yds./lb.): 525/65

Bearings: 5

Max Drag (lb.): 33

Gear Ratio (High/Low): 5.5:1 / 2.7:1

Line Retrieve Rate (High/Low) (in.): 38 / 19

Weight (oz.): 20

fth30ld2.jpg

thanx rum dumb

The reviews on Amazon are quite good for these reels. I just bought a 25N two speed for albacore fishing so I haven't used it yet. I think it would work for halibut without a problem. The larger reel that you are looking at would hold even more line. A huge step up from a Penn 320.

Good reel for sure. Lever drag and two speed!

Looking at this or the squall reel eventually now for myself personally

I looked at the squall 2 speed also, that thing was huge!!!, and if you did put all the braid line on it you would be putting as much or more $ then the fathom.
by getting an all aloy body and lever drag for the few bucks more i hope was a good choice.

Squall Lever-Drag is single speed (like the shimano TLD) I thought. Either way trying to consider if I should buck up the extra amount for a two speed.

Seems like something that could pull double duty for both Hali and Maybe occasional sturgeon fishing.

ive got 6 of them coming, we got to demo one and it was awesome, this was for sturgeon fishing so im sure it has no problems with halis. I like the weight and compact size,ive been using the international 12VSX 2 speeds and they are sweet just want to try something out different.

Before Xmas replaced all pen, 209, 309, gts with squalls. Only because Cabelas had then for $89 Canadian and free delivery. Have had 1 squall for a season and liked it. Very fast line retrieve, light and well priced. Now have for jigging, hali and downrigger rods. Can't wait for the North Island carnage/squall combo action to begin.

HM

Back