Pend O'Reille

M

m82fish

I will be fishing the Pend O'Reille for bass in a few weeks and was looking for a few tips as I haven't done alot of bass fishing in years.Will they still be in pre-spawn and in the deeper water just off of the shallows or will they be in the spawn and in the shallows. I'd like to fish them with a fly rod if possible, but, will bring gear as well. Would they be into crankbaits at this time or maybe tube jigs or soft baits. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. m82fish.

I have been staring at it since last summer and wondering the same. I would assume the bigger fish are getting a little more active so I would try and find the spawning flats and fishing the drop offs. The reservoir seems to have a lot of steep banks. I don't think the fish would be staging in those places right now.
My personal view is to use spinnerbaits and tubes. Rapala X-raps with long pauses are top notch this time of year too.
Where do you plan on launching? I've been scouting for turkeys there and have yet to see Buckley Campsite's gate open.

Hey Eric, Buckley's is to open on May o1 or so they say and am planning on being there in the AM that day.I am usually fishing trout so it will be nice for a change to think outside the proverbial box. Like I said I'm mostly going to try with the fly rod but will resort to gear if need be.I hear there are walleye as well. Any idea. Thanks.

No, from what I have heard the dams cut off all the Walleye. Squawfish aplenty but have heard of the odd sturgeon closer to the Salmo river entrance on the Pend D'Oreille. May be just rumour tho.
I looked around last time I was there. Got my turkey BTW.
Anyway check out the area around the middle, rustic boat launch. It's got some great terrain/structure. There has got to be something there. Especially with the warmer temps the last couple of days.

No, from what I have heard the dams cut off all the Walleye. Squawfish aplenty but have heard of the odd sturgeon closer to the Salmo river entrance on the Pend D'Oreille. May be just rumour tho.
I looked around last time I was there. Got my turkey BTW.
Anyway check out the area around the middle, rustic boat launch. It's got some great terrain/structure. There has got to be something there. Especially with the warmer temps the last couple of days.

We'll give it a good try and see what we can get.You say an old boat launch about half way up,eh! We will have to check that out for sure. If there are any shallows because of all of the steep banks, they may produce I hope.There is only one way to find out and that is to go fish it.Thanks again.

We'll give it a good try and see what we can get.You say an old boat launch about half way up,eh! We will have to check that out for sure. If there are any shallows because of all of the steep banks, they may produce I hope.There is only one way to find out and that is to go fish it.Thanks again.

Back