Parsuns outboards

bullyjack

Anyone run one of these for a kicker? Price looks good and can come with a control box . 3 year waranty on parts. Looking to go to a 4 stroke so i can plumb it into the main tank. Used are pricey so thinking might as well go new and see what the prices are at the boat show next year.

Reliability when needed the most would scare me off. Haven’t heard much good and a few bad. I think Scott is right, knockoff.

Oly

Regardless of which kicker you choose, I'd suggest a separate fuel supply. If a clogged filter or water buildup or blocked pickup takes out your main tank, you should still have a clean fuel supply to get you home. Get a 3 gallon or 6 gallon portable tank, dump it into the main tank periodically to keep the fuel fresh. And run it through its own fuel/water separating filter to be really safe. Use same model filter as the main so you don't have to carry two different spares. Yes, it's belt and suspenders thinking, but that is what's needed for last safe way home feature like a kicker.

When I bought my 25 foot Bayliner 5 years ago it came with a Parsun outboard as a kicker, it died on me when it was less than 3 years old, tried to get an ignition package for it and was unable to get one, the dealer who was in Nanaimo had shut their doors and the distributor of the engines were in Alberta, told me that they could order the part but it would take more than a month to get the part. In the end I decided on a Yamaha, I also had to replace the control box as well as it was not compatible with the yammy, I would not recommend the Parsun, however I do have a 20 hp Tohatsu for my 14 foot Princecraft and can say the Tohatsu is an ok motor.

Back