Papermill Dam Fishery Closes

IronNoggin

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=118441&ID=recreational

Fishery Notice

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject: FN0512-Recreational - Salmon: Somass Sockeye Recreational Fin Fish Closure - Area 23-1

Area 23-1

Recreational fishers are advised that the tidal portion of the Somass River will close to recreational fin fishing as described below. In consultation with the Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee, all advisors including participating SFAC advisors agreed that current situation at Paper Mill Dam regarding non compliance issues warrant the closure of this fishery at this time.

Effective midnight Monday July 13 that portion of the Somass River from the tidal boundary at Paper Mill Dam seaward to a line commencing at a boundary sign in upper Alberni Harbour situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west longitude then through the southern most point of Hoik Island then to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River then due east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore will close to all fin fishing effective
12:01am Tuesday July 14th.

VO# 2009-228.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada Office.
.........................................................................................................................................

And thus the actions of the those who couldn't live within the rules shuts it down for everyone else who could. SAD! [V]

Nog

What?? The papermill flossery is closed? What a shame, so sporting with 8 foot leaders in a couple feet of rippin fast water;) Although it does take a wee bit of talent to line em up get ur gear down deep enough to rip that 1/0 across there little faces:D

Pass the Pack

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

...What a shame, so sporting with 8 foot leaders in a couple feet of rippin fast water;)

Now that's funny RB! I kinda recall the last time I saw you down there your leader was barely 3 feet? :D

I ain't nearly as PO'd that the flossery got shut down as I am for what caused it to be so. FAR to many IDIOTS, Far too many GREEDY Eh-H's, Far to many double, triple and even quadruple dippers, Far too many using barbed hooks and even trebles. And it ain't like they don't know better, they've been told often by the regular Joes that abide by the law down there, almost without exclusion gathering the same response (I'll leave that to your imagination). So, it is "our own" that kicked us in the bag this time around.

I try to believe that most folks are basically honest and ethical to some degree. The BS down there this year had lead me to seriously question that belief. Stupid Son's Of ...

Well Jerks, you got it closed. Hope you're happy, and certainly nice of you to take into account those unfortunates who don't have a boat and can only get access at that spot. I sincerely hope I run into a few of you trying the same BS when the local flow opens for whatever down the road![}:)]

Ticked,
Nog

That fishery is such a mockery of regulations in the first place. I like the "tidal waters" that are found above the small waterfalls, the "fair takes" on the out side of the mouths.... on and on. I had a guy laughing at me for putting one back that was hooked in the tail. I love how the fishery gets hammered so they close it for a couple of years and then the first sign on a rebound they let the gaunlet back at it. Fisheries are a bunch of idiots up there and turn a blind eye to all sorts of s#$t that takes place in that valley.

unfortunatly there are people that abuse the system and can justife
it buy saying that the return was so good it wouldnt matter what i took
thanks guys my son doesnt understand
you know how you are [:javascript:insertsmilie(':(')(]

I understand that as it currently exits the Paper Mill dam fishery was a gong show that had to be shut down.

That being said WHY isn't the whole river system open for a two fish limit like NUMEROUS other rivers in B.C.

I also don't understand WHY there is a four fish linit in the salt but 0 in the fresh.

I don't have a boat but I do have a fly rod and I know that I could take a limit of two fair caught "Socks" in the fresh.

This of course would rquire D.F.O. to think outside the box and eveyone knows that for anyone in that department who resides east of the Rockies is an impossible feat.

Back