Pachena shore casting

I'm headed out to Pachena Bay for May long for the first time in 10+ years. I was wondering if anyone ( or any salmon ) actually dip into the bay? Bringing the boat isn't an option for this trip and I was wondering if anyone had some advise for an early morning trek/shore casting mission. I've got my late fathers old ocean spinner get up [10' graphite rod with a big butt Daiwa spinning reel) with a good assortment of tackle and I'll be trying to use up last years chovy's from the freezer. Aside from not hiking too far from camp is this an decent option or should I wheel out to a different spot?

We used to go camp there all the time but we'd put the power boat at Grappler in town. I had a couple of blow up kayaks that I would launch at Pachena beach to put the crab traps out. That bay is shallow for quite a ways out so I would imagine you would have to hike out to near the mouth to have a decent shot at shore casting. Great place to camp tho, or at least it used to be. Haven't been there for years.
T2

MW

I have been camping out there every May Long for the last 15+ years; have tried fishing numerous times off the rocks further out in the bay but no luck, only fish I have seen caught in the bay are sole that the osprey pull out of the shallows and the eagles steel from them and drop on unexpecting campers and there sites. Most people run out to sea bird and fish for lings and bottom fish and catch the odd salmon; as for fishing the beach; haven't seen anybody catch anything in as long as I have been going out there; but ya never know; might be some sea runs heading up the river or may pull a small hali or sole from the beach! Good Luck; if I see ya down on the beach I will bring a beer by so you can at least catch a buzz or something to make it worth while!

Sounds good TC. We used to go every year for May long when you could camp right out on the beach. This'll be the first time since 91 or 92. I can't wait to show my kids this awesome place. I figured as much about the fishing. I think I'm gonna do a big hike out toward the lighthouse early on Saturday or Sunday and see if I can't find a decent casting spot.

There is a deep ledge half way out on the left side of the bay that you can easily cast into 15 feet of water; watch the tide though or you can get trapped on that side of black creek and have a rough time as well there is usually a bear hanging around along that edge as well. We are planning to hike into kehoigh bay on Sunday maybe a better chance out that way. Good luck and will keep my eyes open for someone heading fishing and say hi.

Back