outboard flush

After the problems I had this past year with my kicker I have got a small plastic garbage can that fits over the leg and I am running salt away to flush, then capping the container until next use. My large motor I use muffs to run it to make sure I get fresh water through all the cooling channels when possible or stop by the lake on he way home. I use the flush connection every time. I have heard various stories as to whether using the flush port pushes water through all points of the water jacket.

all the research I have done says the flush connection for a hose is fine. Muffs are ok but not required. You need to run it for 15 minutes though as recommended by most manufacturers.

I use the flush connector after every trip on both the main and kicker and run WARM water through the engines (I connect the hose to my laundry room tap). Cold water doesn't remove salt very well but warm does a much better job so I figure I don't need any extra chemicals like Saltaway.

I use the flush connector after every trip on both the main and kicker and run WARM water through the engines (I connect the hose to my laundry room tap). Cold water doesn't remove salt very well but warm does a much better job so I figure I don't need any extra chemicals like Saltaway.

Warm water U say................please elaborate, soundz very interesting
Len

Simple. I have access to a hot water tap in my laundry room, through my garage so I just run the garden hose there and have hot/warm water to flush the engines. I figure this will do a pretty good job of removing salt or at least a better job than cold water and I shouldn't need any strange chemicals. I've read pros and cons about Saltaway and similar products and would just as soon stay away from them but each to his own.

My T8 is happy running on muffs but the F150 doesn't seem to get enough water that way (weak pee stream) so I don't flush with muffs very often.

My 1997 Yamaha 2 stroke (and newer 9.9 kicker) only get flushed on muffs after the season ends (late Oct) and it is brought home to sit on the trailer for the off season. It gets flushed after every winter use as it sits for longer periods between uses. I also fire it up on the hose about every 2 weeks during the winter to keep oil on the cylinders and the rotating assembly. The inside passages of the engine and the leg show no signs of salt build up or metal pitting. During the summer the boat stays at the dock, leg submerged and it gets used often...but never flushed. You only really need to flush if the engine will sit long enough that any seawater trapped inside the engine or leg will evaporate and leave the salt to dry. Also the Yami internal passages are coated with a Teflon like material (similar to non-stick pans) and this seems to keep salt from forming in the block.

The only thing about running with the earmuffs is due to the pressure of the hose it isn't a very good indication of whether or not your waterpump is working well. Other then that it's fine to use and yes warm water works better but not everyone has access to a hot water tap for their hose.

Back