Outboard Break in period.

Wooly

Hey Folks,

Just wondering what everyone does when breaking in a new outboard. I have heard just to run it at no more then 3/4 throttle and change the RPM constantly.

I have always just followed the manual and done what it says. Kind of a pain in the butt sometimes but better safe then sorry.

Any advice or tips?

Cheers,

Wooly

First 10 minutes: Operate engine in gear at fast idle only.

Next 50 minutes: Do not operate engine above half throttle (3500 rpm). Do not hold a constant throttle setting. Change speed every 15 minutes or less. With easy planning boats use full throttle to get up on plane then quickly throttle back to half throttle as soon as it's on plane. Be sure boat remains on plane at this speed.

Second hour: Use full throttle to get up on plane then reduce to 3/4 throttle. At intervals, apply full throttle for 1-2 minutes, returning to 3/4 for a cooling period. Change engine speed every 15 minutes or less.

Next eight hours: Avoid continuous full-throttle operation for extended periods. Change engine speed every 15 minutes or less.

After 10 hours, retorque cylinder head bolts.

If you are running a carbureted 2-stroke you must run double oil (25:1) during the first 10 hours. If he engine has oil injection then you mix 50:1 in the gas tank along with the oil injection. If it's a premix outboard then you mix 25:1 in the fuel tank.

If you a running a 4-stroke, change the crankcase oil and filter at the ten hour mark.

If you are running an ETEC, you don't have to do anything! No break in period for those motors although the EMM does increase the oil mixture during the first 10-20 hours so you will notice an increase in consumption.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the lake with cooler full bevy's and followed the manual. Had it done in a couple of days.

You just have to get it done. Sooner the better.

I'm going by the book but on the first sea trail I ran it up to top rpm for a few seconds to see if the props were ok hope that didn't hurt anything!

Back