OUR FISH "Please Review"

MyEscape

This was delivered to me today in print form at work and after a careful review felt it was worth posting. I searched it and do not believe its been posted.

Here is the link:

http://www.ourfish.ca/

If you agree send a message to government urging more funding for the protection and enhancement of Canada’s fish stocks using the form letter on the linked page I did! :D

Cheers ME

I did this , and got a reply from my M.P.
mostly lip service.
Interesting they hired 26 additional DFO employees in the east
and none in the west.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention 'my escape'. I too had a close look at it and it looks like a convenient way for the masses to pass on the message that addional funding is necessary for hatcheries and habitat enhancement.

Not to be contrary, but I'm not convinced increased funding is the whole of the answer. The trouble with a bureaucracy like DFO is that it is not easily transparent (to the layman) where the current funding goes.

As an aside, when I was at the Victoria Boat Show last month I talked to a fellow at the DFO booth and he said that they had 46 trainees in their "academy", all of which were destined for the West, primarily BC. An equal number were to go through it next winter. May not be additional to current staffing, could be to replace retiring CO's, as I'm sure DFO is going through the baby boomer transition the same as every other organization. But who knows?

quote:Originally posted by Time

Not to be contrary, but I'm not convinced increased funding is the whole of the answer. The trouble with a bureaucracy like DFO is that it is not easily transparent (to the layman) where the current funding goes.

Not easily transparant alright! Take a look at this site:
Click on Reports, then click quarter fiscals:
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/GCSC/index_e.asp

In the words of one well esteemed reader's opinion: "our livelihood is being sacrificed to pay land claims. And the DFO and Prime Minister are robbing us to pay a debt that should be paid by all Canadians. This ATP program is a farce , and we really need a inquiry into the mismanagement of public funds."
To which I rather strongly concur!

That said, I appreciate the link Kev. Done. Anything that might help, even slightly, is worth pursuing at this stage!!

Nog

I am in, but I am dubious that they listen. I wrote to the Minister
recommending that DFO reintroduce the even year pink run, wiped out by the rock slide at Hell's Gate in 1914. It would be a feather in the Conservative cap as a great "green" move!

quote:Originally posted by Time

I'm starting to see this light. More money seems to be just that. It's time for our government to start realocating the resources back to the people. When's the last time you stopped at a beach and dug up a pail of clams, or picked a few oysters? I weas under the impression that they have simply been picked clean by all of us. Not true!! Our beaches are commercially stripped. There are licenses up North allowing individuals to take thousands of pounds of wild oysters off the beaches long before summer time...long before you and I even know what's taken place. The entire system has been sold to the highest bidder and we get nothing.

This isn't about one species, it's the entire marine ecosystem: Oysters, clams, salmon, cod, urchins, sea cucumbers, herring, pilchers (the minute they show any sign of return,) halibut, krill (for fish farms and others)...it's all been sold. This is what supports our marine eco system. It has collapsed.

How many more salmon do we want our sports-funded hatcheries to produce for them? I'm getting sick of the whole situation and I'm not sure more of our money is the answer.

Howdy,

Thanks ME.

Just a note to let everyone know you don't have to send the message as it is written. You can add to it, change it, even delete it and write a whole new one.

Naturally, mine was altered - considerably.

Cheers,

Terry

Back