ortality vs air exposure

well since I assume most guys won't actually follow and read the link I'll post the important info.

They exercise trout to replicate a catch & release scenario.

CONTROL GROUP = left in water

GROUP A: exposed to air for 30 secs. after exercise

GROUP B: exposed to air for 60 secs. after exercise

RESULTS:

CONTROL: 88% survival

GROUP A: 62% survival

GROUP B: 28% survival

So bringing fish out of the water for the hero shot DRAMATICALLY reduces it's chance of survival.

I know I wouldn't want my head held underwater for 10-seconds immediately after doing anything vigorous/strenuous, let alone 30-seconds or an entire minute!! No one should be surprised by this direct relationship between mortality and being removed from their source of oxygen after the stress and exertion of being played out. I'd offer folks shouldn't just reconsider the hero shot for steelhead but also netting salmon and bringing them onboard (i.e. out of water) if they don't intend to dispatch that fish - gaff in the bend of the hook, twist, yank and gone should be the norm for C&R on the chuck!!

Ukee

Pretty compelling research. I'll bet this really makes guys think twice about past practices. Maybe we will see some changes on a few sport fishing shows to how fish are handled and displayed. I'm thinking the gaff hook release method is getting a lot more use this upcoming season. With chovies and multiple hooks I find a release net helpful to keep them in the water while I located and remove the hooks....or better still just cut them off. A day or two and they fall out anyway.

yup, if using treble and stinger and its a good/bad hook up, slide anch holder up leader and cut em off..

how about the C&R mortality on fish that were left IN the water - 12% died, that's significant right there.

Back