Oregon Coast

I'm going down to Oregon to bring home my 33' Egg Harbor soon. Any pointers on the weather that way? I've never been that far in the open ocean.

I'm going down to Oregon to bring home my 33' Egg Harbor soon. Any pointers on the weather that way? I've never been that far in the open ocean.
I've been offshore along the entire Washington coast but not along the Oregon coast. In general, this time of year (and much of May), the number of good ocean days is pretty limited. For example, we're looking at 10-12' swells with a 10s period most of today and tomorrow and winds from 12-20kts from the south both days. If I had to make a run from Oregon to any place in BC, I'd try to schedule it later in the year. By June we probably have 2-3 good days out of 5 and by August it's about 4 out of 5. In April and May, it's more like 1-2 out of 5 good days. That doesn't mean you can't make the trip this time of year but it's likely to be unpleasant and some days will be just plain dangerous. My fear for someone in a similar situation is that you'd allot a limited amount of time for the trip, get down to the boat and discover the weather is really nasty and then push a bit harder than is really safe. This may not describe you at all so please don't take it personally.

For weather and swells - I use http://forecasts.surfingmagazine.co....34326199999998_6_1418_wind_none_satellite_-1 - that will show Washington to BC. You can select a different region to get Oregon. I'd look for several days in a row when the period in seconds is greater than the swell in feet by more than a few AND in which the wind is <15kts. Those weather windows are very rare along the coast until June-ish.

I've been offshore along the entire Washington coast but not along the Oregon coast. In general, this time of year (and much of May), the number of good ocean days is pretty limited. For example, we're looking at 10-12' swells with a 10s period most of today and tomorrow and winds from 12-20kts from the south both days. If I had to make a run from Oregon to any place in BC, I'd try to schedule it later in the year. By June we probably have 2-3 good days out of 5 and by August it's about 4 out of 5. In April and May, it's more like 1-2 out of 5 good days. That doesn't mean you can't make the trip this time of year but it's likely to be unpleasant and some days will be just plain dangerous. My fear for someone in a similar situation is that you'd allot a limited amount of time for the trip, get down to the boat and discover the weather is really nasty and then push a bit harder than is really safe. This may not describe you at all so please don't take it personally.

For weather and swells - I use http://forecasts.surfingmagazine.co....34326199999998_6_1418_wind_none_satellite_-1 - that will show Washington to BC. You can select a different region to get Oregon. I'd look for several days in a row when the period in seconds is greater than the swell in feet by more than a few AND in which the wind is <15kts. Those weather windows are very rare along the coast until June-ish.
X2...might I add, you may want to talk to make sure you have "INSURANCE," as a lot of companies won't/don't insure, or even offer you off coast insurance this time of year for Oregon and Washington?

All these responses here are right on the money.
I think if I was doing the trip I would hire a captain who knows those waters and has done the transit before.
The Oregon coast can be a nasty bit of water and there are no safe harbours to hide in. Have also heard it is worse coming north the going south.
Would also do a hard shake down cruise to get to know the boat and take whatever spares you might need.

I would think long and hard about running it up. Much easier to hire a hauler to haul it up I5. Probably only be 2500 or so. Boat will get here in one piece. If you insist on running it I would highly suggest hiring a qualified Captain to do it or at least go with. Fuel, weather and mechanical issues can bite you really hard and you are stuck out there.

good luck with this one.

I would think long and hard about running it up. Much easier to hire a hauler to haul it up I5. Probably only be 2500 or so. Boat will get here in one piece. If you insist on running it I would highly suggest hiring a qualified Captain to do it or at least go with. Fuel, weather and mechanical issues can bite you really hard and you are stuck out there.

good luck with this one.
and trailering it up I5 would also probably be cheaper. Fuel for a 33 footer to do the 200plus miles from Astoria to Victoria or even further to Vancouver would be expensive when pounding into for the entire time. The risk just isn't worth it

Skipper to run boat from oreg0n to vancouver

My son might be interested in running your boat up from Oregon to Vancouver he has lots of experience with the 0regon coast he has been in to the harbours many times over the years he would require a deck hand so they can run non stop if the weather is good he has a ticket

You might post on ifish.net. Is the SportfishingBC of Oregon and Washington. Those guys fish the ocean all the time.

Thanks for the tips. For now I'm watching the weather looking for a window, and I have RFQs out to some transport companies.
I have lots of time so I can be picky with the weather.

I think you have received some good advice. I moor in Garibaldi, OR (30' Grady White) and have moored at Ilwaco. I've only been out of Westport once. This weekend there will be a 5' swell and 2' wind wave. That is about as good as you will get in May. June can be good, July often has the north wind that limits trips. August and September are a delight. I'd focus on a hauler unless you can be very flexible with scheduling, and can stand waiting out a storm on some transient dock, many which have no shore power.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/marine.php
You can find links for cameras on the bar here.

Randy

I actually ended up not taking that boat. It looked nice but was neglected. The weather you(no bail) described was what I was planning on moving in.
Thanks for all of the tips!
I also asked for advice from some people in Oregon but was expecting at least some people here to know the area.

Back