Opinions on these semi barb-less hooks.

I'm neutral on the trebles, I just know they are a challenge for catch and release, particularly with so many releases we have to do these days. My 13 yr old brought in a beautiful 12 lb coho off grant's reef last weekend. I'm glad it was a single barbless as it made the release so much easier.

I'd be concerned the small treble would end up down the throat or in the gills making the release of prohibited species useless.

In 1990 I was present for a catch and release study at Langara Island. The target species was large chinook. I'll see if I can get my hands on the report to see what it said about treble hooks.

In Saltwater, they are illegal on the entire US west coast (AKA left coast). In California, circle hooks are required for fishing Salmon with bait.

Americans certainly know what's best. They use barbless bullets too.

Funny how one persons way is right yet another isn't..Seriously guys arguing over a treble hook is silly. Go fishing! The chevy vs ford debate again.

Commercial fished sockeye, pinks and springs for years. Never used a treble hook once, never needed to seeing as the single barbless were pulling in 1200 fish days. Trebles are a disadvantage as each hook of the treble is much smaller then a bigger single and work against each other as the fish thrashes. 100% guarantee that a bigger single will land more fish!

I was wondering if commercial guys use barbless hooks and surprised to hear they do too!
A big single may or may not be more productive for rec fishing, but one or two singles work too.

Back