Opinions on Ace Line Hauler vs Scotty Prawn Puller

+40 was for the amount of rope it would pull in per minute based on the earlier model. But under a load they both pull the same 100ft per minute. I could be wrong /mistaken as I am only going by memory. But I did ask that one day while at the warehouse.

I finally got to try my Ace line hauler on the weekend and I am glad I picked it over the Scotty. Not because of any difference in quality but because of the way the Ace works.
The line comes in hands free and coils right at your feet. I used a big plastic tub from Rona that Cuba Libre suggested and the 450 feet of line coils in their beautifully with enough room for my float on top.
I had 2 traps plus a 10 pound weight on it and it came up no problem. Was not overly fast but any faster and I would have problems keeping up to coiling the rope.
Another great feature is when the pot comes up the high extended arm keeps it over the side of the boat so you can clean it off or even empty it out without bringing it into the boat.

The only downside is it is a bit heavy and awkward to stow but that is also why it works so well

I went against many people's advice and got a Scotty line puller.

I'm happy with it, stores easily, hauls two heavily weighted traps just fine and I can operate it myself while coiling line no problem.

I certainly like the size of the Scotty. Seems like both do the job and is just matter of preference

The hands free is the deal maker for me, neat coils while I drink a beer...
Hands free does need extra pressure on the arm to prevent slippingevery now amd then with 4 traps heavy traps+ weights
I had some 30 amp fuse issues but since upgrading to a 50a breaker it's given me zero problems

I have both the Ace Brutus and Scotty. I no longer use my Brutus if anybody wants to buy it? Personal preference which one guys like but I'm partial to the Scotty. Very strong, no metal edges, small and stows easy.

I am probably getting Scotty one also. I don't really care much about an auto-coiler myself as its not like deadliest catch and I have 100's of traps to haul up...The both seem good..Its just preference.. I am picking the Scotty mainly on the ease to store away...

Back