Opinions on Ace Line Hauler vs Scotty Prawn Puller

daddystoy

I am planning on buying a prawn puller and was looking for pro's and con's on both pullers.
I have 2- 30 inch diameter traps that I fish on 1 line with a 10lb cannonball for added weight in holding them in place.
I fish out of an 18.5' boat so I do have storage space under the bow for storing the puller when not in use.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

not trying to hijack here but am also going to be getting a new puller soon and was wondering about big kahuna's if anyone has any input on those as well.

Hey Mate,

I just got a Brutus and it works like a champ!
Hands free and love it, you won't regret it.

Guy

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?27070-Scotty-Trap-Puller

Lots of previous discussion on this; here is one fairly recent thread.

Have the Ace Brutus and like it but would like it more if it had a little more power for bringing up the large very heavy commercial type crab traps. I find it slow when you hit the 50lb range but good on a little lighter traps.

The Hull on my boat is old school hand laid glass and strong. The size and strength of your boat may be a factor as the Ace will put more stress on the mounts but on the other hand is a lot more useful for handling large heavy traps without messing up your back or damaging your gelcoat than the low and very short boom Scotty. Basically the Ace keeps the trap out away from the hull more (not hitting hull) and gets it higher out of the water so there is less manual lifting and man handling of heavy traps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the ace for a number of years, its a great machine, I have not used the scotty personally but have seen it in action.
if you want handsfree then you have to go with the Ace, scotty is 100% hands on, yes both could be faster,
Ace extends over the side a little more allowing easier trap retrievel, scotty runs the trap into the side of the boat if your not paying attention

Thanks Guys and Guy!! My first reaction was Brutus here we come. But after reading through that link, (thanks for that), I am not so sure now. It sounds like they are both good and both will do the job just fine. It might just come down to price. I've always been extremely impressed with Scotty's service on their downriggers so that could be one plus for Scotty. The fact you can raise the traps higher with Brutus may or may not be a big factor for me. I will continue my research in person at Berry's Bait.

Thanks again, Dave

I have a brutus with the coiler, very happy with my purchase, you won't regret it. I love how it coils line into a bucket with almost no help.

I bought a brutus +40 last year. Have used it once for my crap pots. Works nice. My battery was low, so a little slower than I would like. But buddy has an electrodyne and that is fantastic, but also over $2400. I am going to get the coiler and hands free. I got the Brutus vs. The scotty, as I like the high boom. I attach a thick rubber floor mat to the rail, and hang it over the side and protects the paint job.

I have the Ace with the self coiler. I like how it brings the pot above the rail. It's easier on the fibreglass and my back. I did have to increase the downrigger plug wire to #8 and change the fuse to a 40 amp. Prior to that I would occasionally blow a fuse.

For the price the Ace hands down.

I just bought an Ace late last summer and have used it 4 times now. It gets the job done but not impressed with the power. I'll use it for a while but still plan on dropping 1500 on a real trap puller not a toy. JMO.

My homemade ones pulled way harder than the Ace but were slower.

I've only used the Ace, prior to that a sea-anchor. Mine worked great for a number of years and when it finally gave me a little grief the (local) customer service was so good I wouldn't use anything else. Fixed it same day (probably lucky with the timing a bit there). The hands free option is nice especially for solo operation.

I had this exact dilemma when I went to the Vancouver boat show. I went there with a friend to buy a Scotty puller (among other things). I really like Scotty products and thought it was a well built compact unit. I had used the Ace before and found it a bit cumbersome to setup on the Scotty Mount. However my friend has a Ace and he pointed out numerous advantages for the ACE.
Both units pull about the same amount of weight and at the same speed
Biggest thing is the rope handling. On the Ace the line comes straight down towards your feet and with the new Bulldog it is hands free and you can concentrate on coiling rope.
The Scotty will push rope towards you horizontally right at crotch level.
The scotty requires 3 wraps on a very small diameter winch and when using leaded line it could tend to give it an extra curl you don't want.
Ace has a larger boom and keeps the trap away from the boat.
The Ace has a 360 swivel head so as waves and current rock the boat the line will adjust. The Scotty only swivels side to side.
Some guys say the line will pop out of the pulley on the Scotty too.
With the Ace you can pull the Bulldog handle and the motor still runs but the rope will slip if you have to pause for a minute.
With the Scotty you have to hit the power switch to stop pulling.

So based on all these facts I got talked out of the Scotty and bought an Ace with the Bulldog. Came with a carrying bag and a pair of shorts for $499 at the boat show.
Haven't tried it out yet but looking forward to it.

Hope this helps!

The best hauler would be hydraulic... Not that easy if your running outboard..It still could be done but you need small gas engine mounted to it... It would have way more power and faster... I still pull mine by hand I like the work out... If I get one I would probably just design/build one.. I have a pretty slick looking arm I had modeled up that I wanted to water jet out.... It just looks cool..But if not the Scotty seems pretty compact.... A few of my friends have them and like them... Ace are nice too..But I find them a little awkward size wise for storing etc..

forgot to mention. The guys a the boat show said the most important thing with the Scotty and Ace is proper wire size. Use #8 and wire direct to your battery with a fuse.
You should leave your engine running too while you wind up.

I have the Ace with the self coiler. I like how it brings the pot above the rail. It's easier on the fibreglass and my back. I did have to increase the downrigger plug wire to #8 and change the fuse to a 40 amp. Prior to that I would occasionally blow a fuse.
carefull there they only use a 20a switch on it, dont ask me how I know this:eek:

The scotty does not have a swivel end on it. When you start pulling and get some weight on it, I find you have to correct your boat a lot to pull up your traps or the line will pop off the end. When you do get your traps up because it so low your traps hit the side of your boat, not that big of a deal but you have to do a lot of scuff clean up from your traps hitting your boat.

I cant remember the puller Leftcoast has but it pulls great and has a swivel end and holds the traps up above your boat sides. I think it's an Ace.

Funny that you'd think you need to run 8awg to your puller when Scotty only recommends 12/2 and a 30a fuse for the down rigger. From my battry to my puller/rigger it's about 4-5ft on one side and about 12ft to the other side. I ran 10/2 with a 30a fuse inline. I opened up my Scotty receptacle and soldered the connections and loaded with dielectric grease. I have no issues with power to either unit. Believe me I've put them to the test :)

I want to see photos of any attempts to attach 8awg to your receptacle. I had drill mine out just to attach the 10/2. Good Luck

I have used both pullers. Ace is the only way to go. Not sure I'd go prawning with a guy using a Scotty, well unless he allowed me to bring my Ace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back