Old sooke fishing pictures

marula

I came across some photos dated 1905 and 1908 described as Sooke Fish Traps from the British Columbia Archives web site from the BC Museum I wanted to share. I never realized how extensive the fish traps were and how many salmon they pulled out of there. Different times for sure. One could only dream of fishing in those conditions.

Credit goes here, larger prints could be ordered if you go to their site.
https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/

enjoy

Attachments

• sooke fish 1908_2.jpg
    sooke fish 1908_2.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 201
  • sooke fish 1908.jpg
    sooke fish 1908.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 194
  • sooke fish 1908_3.jpg
    sooke fish 1908_3.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 190
  • sooke salmon_2.jpg
    sooke salmon_2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 192
  • sooke salmon.jpg
    sooke salmon.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 195
Pretty amazing what the fishing was like back then. Hard to believe it was like that all over on Both sides of the border. Thanks for sharing.

The only reason the Todd traps ceased in 1958 was that seiners began fishing further out on the west side of the Island and scooped the fish ahead of the traps. Could you imagine having the ability to sort the catch by species/sex size etc and release unharmed those you want in the rivers? They were smart back then...why chase the fish all over the ocean when you can set up shop close to home and wait for them.

No pic, but to know Bud T was a pleasure. Was asked back to be a proctor.that was 35 years ago .

There is a scaled model of a Sooke trap and a documentary film with period footage at he Sooke Regional Museaum. Worth watching.

Any pictures of the Trap Shack?

It has been restored as an historical site and if you want to see it; it is about a five hour return hike along the cliffs on the ocean in East Sooke Park. A very beautiful hike which I have done several times, but it is up and down and you should be in somewhat decent shape.

Interesting, my father used to tell me about those traps. He told me that he watched them sort through the fish. They would take a knife and slice into the springs just after the head, if they were red they went ino the ones to be kept, if it was white, back into the water-- they were considered worthless. Kinda reminds me of when we used to consider cohoe "rats of the sea".

Back