Okuma Reels

My son outfitted several of the rods on the boat last season with Okuma reels. We are finding the drags are over sensitive, small adjustment from free wheel to full drag. They are also starting to sqeak when running them down on the downriggers. Does anyone know if this is common to this reel or a maintance issue? The son is suggesting some cork oil, which I've never run accross. Any suggestions appreciated.

2550 Pursuit CC

quote:Originally posted by Secretpursuit
.....Any suggestions appreciated.
Throw them out, they are (for the most part) junk. [V]

Every year some shill for Okuma claims 'Oh they're so much better/stronger/faster/better made now yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda.....' but the same</u> old</u> complaints</u> keep surfacing.

You can find oil for the drags on the net but silicon grease is better, Alan Tani's site has some info on that way of treating drags but how much money do you want to put into a proved loser?

http://alantani.com/

Thanks dogbreath. There center pins and seemed to be well built. Will give the silcon gease a shot before trash canning them.

2550 Pursuit CC

there junk, garbage ,crap chuck them in the drink i've had many and they just don't work i've had a few new out of the box lock up before they even hit the bottom on the first drop.

I agree here, right out the box DOA. A lot of lodges use em and lots of problems. Imagine Okuma painted on your boat as a Sponsor haha!

I agree Okuma are no good. Go with a Shimano TLD 20 or if you want to pay more a Shimano Tyrnos. I have both and are durable and reliable. My 2 bits.

Long live wild salmon!!!
&gt;&lt;))))&gt;

Cork grease? Is your son older than Job? Oops! forgot a lot of fly reels and single pin reels use cork & cork composites.

Swap out the cork drags for carbontex material and apply Shimano drag grease. If you can't find that try to find Cal's drag grease.

These greases are especially for drag disks and won't stick well enough to use for anything else, and are too expensive for any other use.

I use Shimano because it's easier to find. It comes in a small tub (not tube) and you must store it proper side up or it separates & leaks in storage.

I've used Okuma conventionals & spinning reels without problems (except drag creep on one) but never their centerpins.

I lube all my drags with drag grease except the teflon-impregnated fibreglass disks, and all those are on my freshwater reels. On those I sometimes give them a shot of dry graphite spray powder.

I no longer have any cork material in any drag disks. All have been replaced with carbontex with shimano grease on them. It'll cost you at most $15 for new carbontex disks & $3-$5 for grease.

Cheers!

I have used the higher end okuma hali reels for a couple years now, no problems at all,

Back