Okuma CL30 Reel Final Report Card

Here Here Sitka I love my old Shimino mooch it's alot like hunting, why use a bow when there are guns. Don't forget reefmonger it's called SPORTFISHING everyone should give the old dusters a chance. Nothing like feeling the power some of those fish have, it's just not the same dragging them in on a level wind. I love the bloody nuckles and hot palms.

IMG_0330.jpg

And in my next life I'll buy one of those electric downriggers that link to a depthsounder, and always keep your hook 10 or whatever feet you choose off the bottom, put an electric reel on my rod, and have a sporting experience while being served mai-tais by a semi-clothed lass.
But until then, I'll 'rough-it' with knuckle busters and listen to them (and guests unfamiliar with them) sing.

hole in the water-i use lever drags, machined solid aluminum frame,cold forged aluminum sideplates,cnc cut stainless steel gears,double axle stainless steel anti revers,sealed stainless steel bearings,teflon and fiberglass drag washers and believe it or not they scream when you get a hit. to each his own i guess. they all perform the same function with or without bleeding knuckles

i had a friend from the bahamas go fishing with me a few years back , we hooked up to a 15 lb spring, he threw the rod down on deck and hand lined the fish to the boat and pulled it over the side and flopped it on the deck, he looked at me and said "where i come from that aint no fish its bait!" maybe we should go back to hand lining?

So Reefmonger I assume that you use those fancy "lever drags, machined solid aluminum frame, cold forged aluminum sideplates, cnc cut stainless steel gears, double axle stainless steel anti revers,s ealed stainless steel bearings, teflon and fiberglass drag washers solid aluminum reels" for tuna, marlin, grouper and sharks right, not little ol' salmon?

Otherwise where's the fun and the sport in that! Just my 2 bits.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

Reefmonger-- Now dont take this personally [}:)]-- but your friend is full of CRA#!!!! Get him to talk about all the fuss about catching little inedible bonefish only to let them go! Oh yes I can hear it-- they fight like crazy!!!! They just run and run and run--- well let me get at them with 30lb test and see how far they go....... !!! Handline in a 15lb chinook-- harumph!!!! Bloody nonsense I say!!!!!![^]

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

whole in the water-yes ive used lever drags to fish marlin,tuna,dolphin,and wahoo and they work wonderfull but they are also made in small sizes for salmon,halibut,cod etc. they are much safer than a knucklebuster for children and so easy to operate.

cubre libre-dont you take this the wrong way. most natives of the bahamas dont fish for bonefish thats a tourist thing and yes pound for pound they are an incredible fish. as for handlining you might want to pickup a copy of "the old man and the sea"by earnest hemmingway. ive seen 30 and 40 lb dolphin fish(mahi mahi) hand lined to the boat and they fight way harder than any salmon. ive seen 40 lb wahoo handlined to the boat and they take bait at 50 miles per hour. i love any kind of fishing and the type of reel doesnt make a sportsman.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference aka chev vs. ford.
I started salmon fishing with a Daiwa levelwind and yes it brought fish to the boat, it still does when stacking. Since I got a Shimano 4000gt, I know i know its not an Islander, it became my preffered reel and will probably get more so the boat stays balanced ;)
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

Yes-- the operative word is
quote:sportsman.

But anything is "possible" I am sure that some might consider using dynamite fun, but it isnt sporting.

As far as Santiago and his big fish--- wonderful story full of symbolism and pathos, but it wasnt a story about "sportsfishing"

Sorry-- still think your friend is full of cra# for treating a salmon with such disrespect..;)

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

cubre libre "sportfishing" i think you might have to try holding onto a monster blue marlin with a handline to decide if its sporting or not! as for my friend he learned to fish that way because no one could afford a rod and reel. we canadians have shown our salmon the most disrespect in the manner in which we have looked after their habitat.

He He He!!!:D Nice try

Remember your previous post??
quote:i had a friend from the bahamas go fishing with me a few years back , we hooked up to a 15 lb spring, he threw the rod down on deck and hand lined the fish to the boat and pulled it over the side and flopped it on the deck, he looked at me and said "where i come from that aint no fish its bait!" maybe we should go back to hand lining?

Well guess what-- I started fishing with a bunch of cuttyhunk as a kid because I didnt have the where-with-all to buy a fishing rod either. Took quite a few mowing of lawns before I could afford a solid glass 6 ft rod and a Bronson casting reel... Man-- the backlashes I had..[xx(]

And nice "dodge and weave" too by trying to deflect your friends strange performance by introducing "habitat" ....doesnt work however-- but A for effort!! :D

Anyway-- interesting discussion. It can now get back on track!!

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Back