Okuma CL30 Reel Final Report Card

S

SIR

Okay, one of this years experiments was a couple of Okuma CL30 level winds as backups for my Penn 309s. I like to have my backup rods rigged with my alternative lure choices so we don't waste time without gear in the water so my backup rods get used often.

Normally I use gear for a year before issueing a report but today I popped both reels off the rods, motored to where the water was 2100 feet deep, turfed them over the side and watched as they sank into the depth. Yeah I know, not that environmentaly friendly but my frustration level was fairly high at the time.

Needless to say my report card results should be fairly clear on this product :)

Specifically the drag system SUCKED. The reel construction, level wind system and retreval were all fine but the drag was unusable. Back to Penns...cost more but worth the frustration avoidance.....

So whats wrong with the drag. How bout alittle more info on the problem as i just bought the exact reel.. but have not used it yet
Thanks. for some more info

Had an okuma diezel and hated it. But you get what you pay for.
Where could one find a rebuild kit for a Penn 209 ?

cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

quote:today I popped both reels off the rods, motored to where the water was 2100 feet deep, turfed them over the side and watched as they sank into the depth

LOL!!

Used to sell Okuma and it's a good thing the place I worked in didn't cater to real fishermen otherwise my conscience would have bothered me to flog such useless junk.[xx(][V]

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

Don't fix it if it ain't broke comes to mind Penn's have always been super reliable.Thanks for the info though SIR.

IMG_0330.jpg

Three problems with the drag
1) it took way to many turns to engage
2) once it began to tighten up it tightened up really fast so tiny increments in the drag had a huge impact on the tensioning but then you had to spin it several times in the other direction before it began to slack off - think big lag in both directions then bam full on or full off with very little in the middle
3) when using the drag to tension the line when lowering the downriggers the drag was not smooth, it caught and released so the rods were bopping up and down the whole time you were setting them rather than a smooth steady drop with the Penns

$250 donation to the sea gods yesterday so it should be a good trip out today :D

SIR got any more gear you don't like maybe I follow you around for a while. BAA[:eek:)]

Hey Ian, ditto SeaWolf but only if you feel the same way with the Islanders........:D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

like most manufacturers okuma makes some good and some bad. ive used there high end lever drag trolling reels with excellent results. i dont understand why most salmon trollers still use star drags and knucklebusters when the technology has advanced so much.

Come on Reefmonger nothing like a screaming nuckle buster and oh yeah I'm cheap to:D[}:)].

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Love the knuckle busters too..... guess im just Canadian :D [B)]

I will salmon fish with a knuckle buster or 7' one piece with a penn spinning reel. All depends on how I am feeling. My fishing partner from the states got me started on the spinners. They are a lot of fun.

quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

SIR got any more gear you don't like maybe I follow you around for a while. BAA[:eek:)]

Hey SeaWolf, better cool it with all that followin stuff. I hear it's getting right out of control in some parts. I was emailed a photo today of how silly it's gettin in Hardy. No wonder the guides are gettin testy. Check it out for yourself, things are getting pretty baaad.

This is my fist attempt posting a photo, so hopefully it works(please excuse the poor quality).

codfather_sheep.gif

TheBigGuy – You owe me a keyboard. Had pop coming out my nose on that photo.

Glad to see the photo posted correctly. Very hard to capture a good image of the elusive Codfather Sheep. Despite their ever increasing numbers they are very skitish and hard to capure on film.

gotta love the canadians eh! who else will be using state of the art gps chart plotters on one end of the boat and 100 year old reel technology on the other!

quote:Originally posted by reefmonger

gotta love the canadians eh! who else will be using state of the art gps chart plotters on one end of the boat and 100 year old reel technology on the other!

Yea but what a great technology for catching fish!!! Begs the question....if it aint broke, why fix it?????

The sound of a single action is music to most west coast fishermans ears, the sound of a level wind is like an old squeeky hinge banging in the wind.....

But hey, each to their own, and after all, we are all out to catch fish and have fun, which is why we here in the first place

Cheers

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Back