Oil in bilge, what is the best way to remove?

Seagirt

My oilpan blew and I have about 10L of oil sitting in the bilge. The two options I know of are pump the oil into buckets and dispose of somewhere that takes used oil or use the petroleum absorbent pillows/pads.

My questions are:

1) What would be the best way to pump the bilge, just use the bilge pump and catch the water coming out the through hull fitting? I don't think I'm able to reroute the bilge pump to pump more safely straight into a bucket. Is there a better type of pump to use for this rather than a bilge pump?

2) I've never used absorbent pads, how efficient are they? Some say that you can wring them out and reuse them, how true is this? They are a bit pricey but it seems like an efficient way to clean the bilge of oil. Any one have experience?

3) Are there other options out there?

Thanks for any info.

ps. This is a 25' cabin cruiser running a little yanmar diesel.

Pump it into some used oil containers using a small drill powered pump... Take it to an oil change shop and bring a case of beer for the attendant

Kitty litter would absorb the oil and clump up nice too. You could then scoop it out assuming you can reach in there. Don't use your bilge pump or you'll never get it clean.

My oilpan blew and I have about 10L of oil sitting in the bilge. The two options I know of are pump the oil into buckets and dispose of somewhere that takes used oil or use the petroleum absorbent pillows/pads.

My questions are:

1) What would be the best way to pump the bilge, just use the bilge pump and catch the water coming out the through hull fitting? I don't think I'm able to reroute the bilge pump to pump more safely straight into a bucket. Is there a better type of pump to use for this rather than a bilge pump?

2) I've never used absorbent pads, how efficient are they? Some say that you can wring them out and reuse them, how true is this? They are a bit pricey but it seems like an efficient way to clean the bilge of oil. Any one have experience?

3) Are there other options out there?

Thanks for any info.

ps. This is a 25' cabin cruiser running a little yanmar diesel.

I have a device that takes out 99.99% of oil from the bilge. Will even take the slick. It'll pick up hydraulic fluid, diesel, oil,... picks up about 5 gallons of oil in about an hour. Deposits it in a bucket or Jerry can for you and is 100% recyclable :)
Sold some units to the Coast Guard and the Nanaimo Port Authority even bought one from me too...

Absorbent pads go into the landfill. They work great for picking up the oil but they basically just transfer the oil spill to the dump.

PM me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Put the boat on the trailer, park on a hill, remove the drain plug with a 5 gallon pail under said drain plug, wash the bilge with varsol. Washing the bilge with varsol will he made easier by removing the engine. While the engine is removed, i recommend replacing the oil pan so it doesnt happen again.

Put the boat on the trailer, park on a hill, remove the drain plug with a 5 gallon pail under said drain plug, wash the bilge with varsol. Washing the bilge with varsol will he made easier by removing the engine. While the engine is removed, i recommend replacing the oil pan so it doesnt happen again.

so ...what does he do with the Varsol (terribly lethal) and oil contaminated water after washing?

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll pump it and recycle the liquid. It wouldn't be such a big deal if there wasn't so much water in there (need to figure out how it is getting in...). I took 30 litres out today with a pump used to suck oil out of the motor for oil changes. Then the pump quit.

Haha, thanks. There are a few hitches to that plan for me. No trailer and I don't know if it has a drain plug (bilge compartment is mid ship). I agree 100% on the motor lift and fix, but I need the bilge pumped first.

I'd use a cheap Oil Transfer pump - you can pick them up at Canadian Tire. They make a brass one and a plastic one. I've had the plastic one for several years and they tend to work well. In fact, just used it today to change the oil on the boat -- suction end goes over the dipstick hole and other end into an empty 5L oil jug -- takes about 5-10 minutes of pumping (not a one time investment). Any of the oil change shops will take the old watery oil and recycle it.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/brass-oil-transfer-pump-0792462p.html#.UomZ-VWzKpg

Thanks Tenmile. You probably haven't sucked up anything other than oil from your engine, but any idea how it do sucking up some sludge? My bilge isn't clean so I'm sure I'd end up sucking some junk up, think that'd pump would get plugged? Seems like a good option for a pump, I'll probably give it a try.

Another method also is a cheaper plastic wet-vac, that would suck up even the sludge.

Back