oh boy its going to be fun tomorrow at the derby

rendraW

Saturday - Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of rain showers or ice pellets. 60 percent chance of wet flurries over higher terrain early in the morning.
Risk of a thunderstorm in the afternoon. Wind west 30 km/h except 50 near Juan de Fuca Strait early in the morning. High 10. UV index 3 or moderate.

oh yeah, its gonna be awesome. Rendraw, im always open to exchange info. good luck everyone

kunni

I dont think you'll see too many float tubes or pontoons out there. We're thinking of leaving the tinnies at home and taking the 19 footer.

I think youll be surprised how many little boats will be out there

I certainly hope not. Its gusting 70kms right now. Ive been on the lake in 20-25 and its been 18"-2 footers. Yikes!

Hope everyone stays safe and nobody has and issues!

-KK

In those kinds of conditions its not even worth it. Im a dedicated fisherman but I know when to call it quits. Stay safe

I pussed out. I was going to kayak it, heard the weather report yesterday. And been watching your reports and sure im not up to snuff yet. Looks nice and calm out my window right now tho! Looks like you guys might have caught a break! Good luck out there have fun! :cool:

Well I had a not so great day at the derby today. I started fishing at 3am, I borrowed some navigation lights, and it was rough till around 5am. I only landed 1 small fish in the dark, on a little black leech. From 5am till about 10am I only had three small fish, all on leeches down deep. That puts the total at 4. From about 10am- 1:30pm I had nothing at all, I was switching patterns every hour, but still nothing. I made my way down to beaver lake and was fishing there by 2pm, managed 2 nice cutthroat trout, maroon leeches were the ticket for the cutts. The $1000 fish was a 2.3lber that I didnt catch, I weighed a 1lb fish, and sat at 3 place for about 4 hours lol. I managed 6 small trout for a full 12hours of fishing, it wasnt great, but after talking to lots of other guys, I didnt do to badly. Considering langford or prospect tomorrow, forgot the camera today, but I will definatley bring it tomorrow.

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a slow day too. I started fishing at 6am, had one nice bite, lost it, at about 7:20 caught one small fish less than 1 lb on a dodger and pink squirt. Had three more hits and broke off 6 lb test on a nice one. tough day. We quit around 12:30 just before the hail started. No draw prizes either, next year :p

yeah, the hail was wild, it happened last weekend aswell

kunni

I wonder if they might go after some glow gear in the wee hours? Shame about the weather but I'm surprised that they didn't have a few draw prizes at least.

I wonder if they might go after some glow gear in the wee hours? Shame about the weather but I'm surprised that they didn't have a few draw prizes at least.

I think something with glow, a rattle, and some scent would do well, my flies only have visual, no nois or scent on them, so I think they might be difficult for the fish to detect at night.

An old timer told me years ago to fish above the depth the fish are holding when night fishing. Looking from below they see the silhouette of the lure. Makes sense to me. Tough to tell if it isn't working or they're just not biting though.

I was out with my cousin for bass in Beaver all day, it was dead over there. a few pulled out three or four over 5 pounds. It was not a good year for the derby, weather was not cooperative at all.

An old timer told me years ago to fish above the depth the fish are holding when night fishing. Looking from below they see the silhouette of the lure. Makes sense to me. Tough to tell if it isn't working or they're just not biting though.

If it makes any difference I was fishing a type 6, and a type 3 full sink. Lines were out all the way, the full sink type 3 was getting down 8ft, and the type 6 was going down around 15ft. I was picking up fish on my sounder at around 20ft. My lines were above the majority of the fish, maybe the bad fishing was reduceing the fishing action

kunni

Last edited by a moderator:

in new Zealand, it is supposidly VERY popular to fish at night, and most people prefer it to fishing in the day for trout. they use big flys and cast and retrive or slow troll along the surface.. and do much better then you would suspect... supossidly the darkest nights are the best too (not the full moon)

people often forget salmon and trout can sense vibrations in the water just as well as scent and visually... at night, when it is quite.. it is much easier to pick up

Back