Odd alert on Garmin plotter about whales

23Hourston

So fishing off beachy head today noticed a bunch of whale watching boats in area after about 10 or so minutes dfo joined them. Shortly after a alert came up on my Garmin 1042 that a minimum 400 yards needed to be kept away from the whales. How is even this possible. I looked to see if this had been logged in the alerts area but nothing

DSC locates all boats in a given area and sends out an alert. The alerts are controlled by Coast Guard radio. You are identified through your MMSI number.

DSC = Digital Selective Calling

Last edited:
DSC locates all boats in a given area and sends out an alert. The alerts are controlled by Coast Guard radio. You are identified through your MMSI number.

DSC = Digital Selective Calling
I have ASI selected as on in my chart plotter but no receiver. Unless somehow it’s internal to the chart plotter …nor do I have my VHF hooked/wired up to the DSC. On the list to do. Obviously they where somehow able to transmit the message I’m not that familiar with the chart plotter so I’ll assume that’s what happened

I think your being paranoid that someone is monitoring you and sending signals.
You should get some rest. You look tired…..
Yup could be Ever since I got the shot whales have been trying to Communicate with me through my transducer

I'm just happy the whale watching boats got kept off the whales.

It’s either Davis Suzuki Foundation that’s hacking into our electronics or the Covid shot that’s turned your boat into a marine 5G magnet.

Yup could be Ever since I got the shot whales have been trying to Communicate with me through my transducer
I have actually had a similar message on my Garmin 1242. I think it’s just your approaching a certain area on the chart. Maybe even is speed related going into an area. Will watch for it again

I get weird messages all the time on mine as well all of a sudden i get this beeping look up and see some messages some very weird ones i cant even read

I have ASI selected as on in my chart plotter but no receiver. Unless somehow it’s internal to the chart plotter …nor do I have my VHF hooked/wired up to the DSC. On the list to do. Obviously they where somehow able to transmit the message I’m not that familiar with the chart plotter so I’ll assume that’s what happened
Ya you have something hooked up for them to transmit to you. If not through DSC then through AIS in your plotter. And if you look in your manual there is probably a big section on the AIS functions and abilities of your particular unit. And if it has a receiver it will most likely be factory set to "on" for receive AIS messages. If you don't want that function on you should be able to set it to off manually in your menu.

The Coast Guard and the Gov Traffic Services both monitor boat traffic for marine mammal protection. Over the last few years they've been doing a bunch of stuff with all of that too. So I'd say either an automated messages for a specific protected area on your chart or an AIS message sent out by a Gov agency.

DSC does not need to be hooked up to anything to work on your radio. It is a digital message that is sent through radio waves directly to your radio . The Coast Guard selects a geographic area they want to alert and all vhf radios with dsc go off.

Back