Octopus prep and recipes

nicnat

I love octopus, cooked pretty much any way and as sashimi. I order it when it's available on menus while in mexico (huatulco has some great restaurants, had some of my best octopussy there) , as an appy here in greek restaurants and in the sushi joints.

at home, I buy the packages of frozen cleaned baby octopus, very cheap and tasty, I thaw it, drop it boiling water (with some salt and oregano in it) for a minute or 2, then into some ice water to stop the cooking, then I marinate it in some olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt, pepper and oregano for an hour or so, then onto the grill (gas bbq here) for a few minutes , this is a great appy.

anyhow, so I have a couple of 3 lb blocks of larger fresh frozen cleaned octopus (head off) to deal with. from looking at a few methods I'm thinking the 1st one I'll try is the simplest one, boil it for 40 minutes or so, let stand for 30min-hr, then basically do what I do with the baby octopus with what we will eat that night and vac pac and freeze the rest (not sure if this is a good idea) or this way looks pretty good too https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-t...rst, thaw the octopus in,and return to a boil. So I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who preps and cooks octopus and also anyones favorite octopus recipes.

cheers nicnat

I love octopus, cooked pretty much any way and as sashimi. I order it when it's available on menus while in mexico (huatulco has some great restaurants, had some of my best octopussy there) , as an appy here in greek restaurants and in the sushi joints.

at home, I buy the packages of frozen cleaned baby octopus, very cheap and tasty, I thaw it, drop it boiling water (with some salt and oregano in it) for a minute or 2, then into some ice water to stop the cooking, then I marinate it in some olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic, salt, pepper and oregano for an hour or so, then onto the grill (gas bbq here) for a few minutes , this is a great appy.

anyhow, so I have a couple of 3 lb blocks of larger fresh frozen cleaned octopus (head off) to deal with. from looking at a few methods I'm thinking the 1st one I'll try is the simplest one, boil it for 40 minutes or so, let stand for 30min-hr, then basically do what I do with the baby octopus with what we will eat that night and vac pac and freeze the rest (not sure if this is a good idea) or this way looks pretty good too https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-t...rst, thaw the octopus in,and return to a boil. So I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who preps and cooks octopus and also anyones favorite octopus recipes.

cheers nicnat
Following. I've only ever had success with the little guys. Tried boiling a big one once and it just never got tender. So I kept boiling. And boiling. And boiling. Twas a sad night.

I now just do the three dip method on boiling water. Quick in and out. Then hit it on hot hot charcoal until charred. Dressed with whatever.

I'd love to try ceviche but haven't had the chance. I noticed that West Coast Wild Seafood has some for sale online. Might give it a shot.

Following. I've only ever had success with the little guys. Tried boiling a big one once and it just never got tender. So I kept boiling. And boiling. And boiling. Twas a sad night.

I now just do the three dip method on boiling water. Quick in and out. Then hit it on hot hot charcoal until charred. Dressed with whatever.

I'd love to try ceviche but haven't had the chance. I noticed that West Coast Wild Seafood has some for sale online. Might give it a shot.
octopus ceviche is awesome, had it mexico many times, haven't made it here but if you buy the already cooked legs from fujiya (s.s. and save on also have them) that a lot of the japanese rests. use for sushi and make a ceviche with that would work easily. I like the look of that braising recipe in my 1st post, think I'll try that this weekend.

Last edited:
I noticed that West Coast Wild Seafood has some for sale online. Might give it a shot.
I bought 2 pounds a few weeks ago and cooked one it was delicious-just boiled for 45 minutes and marinated as shown.

2 chopped Onions some Ahi Amarillo sauce from Peru sauce a fish bullion cube and 1 litre of water
IMGP0474.jpg

Same/same an hour or so later almost done
IMGP0475.jpg

Cooled/chopped & ready to be eaten dipped in Mayo/Lemon/Garlic dip
IMGP0476.jpg

I bought 2 pounds a few weeks ago and cooked one it was delicious-just boiled for 45 minutes and marinated as shown.

2 chopped Onions some Ahi Amarillo sauce from Peru sauce a fish bullion cube and 1 litre of water
IMGP0474.jpg

Same/same an hour or so later almost done
IMGP0475.jpg

Cooled/chopped & ready to be eaten dipped in Mayo/Lemon/Garlic dip
IMGP0476.jpg
looks good, did yours come cleaned or with head on? I was just looking at that west coast wild seafood web site and don't see any octopus (some of their prices halibut especially seem quite rich) I got mine along with a bunch of other seafood at https://www.rocktheboatseafood.com/ 1st time using them as they are a ways away from n.van but am impressed with the products I've tried. it's nice to be able to deal direct instead of thru some big retail outlet.

I get those small operators mixed up this is the one I bought from

It was just what you see in the pan in my pics a frozen fat tentacle that weighed about a pound.

I always get like the 40 to 50 lbers so i keep em all I gave my buddy a tentacle from it I dont know what he did but damn was it good he boiled then ceviched it ...but he cut it into chunks it , id want it siced so i can put on sushi i will ask him how he did it

anyhow, so I have a couple of 3 lb blocks of larger fresh frozen cleaned octopus (head off) to deal with. from looking at a few methods I'm thinking the 1st one I'll try is the simplest one, boil it for 40 minutes or so, let stand for 30min-hr, then basically do what I do with the baby octopus with what we will eat that night and vac pac and freeze the rest (not sure if this is a good idea) or this way looks pretty good too https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-prep-octopus-1300823#:~:text=First, thaw the octopus in,and return to a boil. So I'm looking for recommendations from anyone who preps and cooks octopus and also anyones favorite octopus recipes.

cheers nicnat
Somewhat off topic but my favorite winter vacation is Huatulco. Just don’t tell anyone .

Our resort serves octopus and it tastes great. Which Huatulco resturant’s do you recommend?

Somewhat off topic but my favorite winter vacation is Huatulco. Just don’t tell anyone .

Our resort serves octopus and it tastes great. Which Huatulco resturant’s do you recommend?
Rocoto is my favorite by far, awesome food, the octopus and the short ribs are to die for.

I always get like the 40 to 50 lbers so i keep em all I gave my buddy a tentacle from it I dont know what he did but damn was it good he boiled then ceviched it ...but he cut it into chunks it , id want it siced so i can put on sushi i will ask him how he did it
I assume you're using most of it for hali bait, lol. you should have a go at making some octopus sausage, lol.

I assume you're using most of it for hali bait, lol. you should have a go at making some octopus sausage, lol.
Oh good idea. Or those creepy fish balls in Chinese food. Love those things but who knows what they are.

My wife got a cookbook from SOBO restaurant. Boil for a couple of hours (bay leaf, lemon) , cut into chunks, marinade , grill on barbecue. Man is it good, tender and delicious. I almost hate to use them for bait.

I get the small octopus about the size of my fist in prawn traps regularly. Every time I think those would be tasty but have not tried it yet.
Watching this thread for ideas.

For larger octopus steaks restaurants seem to cut half way through in a criss cross pattern to make more tender.

Best recipe I have so far is put on a hook, drop to bottom, turn into halibut and proceed with favorite recipe.

In Spain we eat a lot of Pulpo. The fav is Pulpo Gallego. Recipe below.

It‘s essentially cut potato, olive oil, course salt and lots of paprika. Remember if you catch your own octo you need to beat the **** out of it against a rock to loosen it up ASAP after you catch it. And, to kill an octo you turn its hood inside out. There’s a small opening that allows you to do this at the base of the head. This recipe can be a meal or an appetizer.

I get the small octopus about the size of my fist in prawn traps regularly. Every time I think those would be tasty but have not tried it yet.
Watching this thread for ideas.

For larger octopus steaks restaurants seem to cut half way through in a criss cross pattern to make more tender.

Best recipe I have so far is put on a hook, drop to bottom, turn into halibut and proceed with favorite recipe.
Those are the best eating. Like pescador said beat the **** out of it and kill it properly. Quick dip in boiling water so it curls and then charcoal it up.

Back