Oceans- UBC -Salmon dialogue

Sending on behalf of Dr. Brian E Riddell, Science Advisor to UBC Salmon Dialogues Series

Dear SFAB Members,

In respect of your contributions to Pacific salmon and environmental issues, we wished to ensure you were aware that the Institute for Oceans and Fisheries (UBC) will conduct 14 Community Salmon Dialogues across BC seeking input from all community members about the future of Pacific salmon. The Community Salmon Dialogue meetings welcome anyone who is concerned about the future of Pacific salmon and would like to share their knowledge and listen to others. All meetings will be audio-recorded to enable meeting summaries and ensure accuracy of key points. All meeting summaries will be openly available on the project website (https://oceans.ubc.ca/research/research-units/salmon-dialogues/ ) after the meetings are concluded. Based on these meetings and a subsequent workshop, UBC will provide a final report to governments, media, and participants in March 2025.

If possible, please share your knowledge during our local meeting (Sheeri Bell Hall, Camosun College, (9:00 to noon, May 3, 2024). You can also check the other meeting times and locations on the website under “Events- Location, Date & Time.” You are welcome to share our event with whomever you think would be interested in joining us! For the participants who are unable to join a meeting, we will soon post a form submission option on our project website to provide an opportunity to share views and knowledge with us. Everyone is welcome to both join in person and provide a submission when it is available. Virtual attendance will not be available.

While DFO is the funder of these meetings, this research will be conducted independently, and meetings hosted by our project team of Dr. Brian Riddell, Ms. Deana Machin, and our meeting coordinator Ms. Alara Sever. These local meetings are intended to listen to local concerns and ideas for restoration, but we need local involvement to accomplish this!

Was at the meeting yesterday in Port Alberni. I was the only local angler there. Lots of empty chairs. There was a pile of muffins and left over coffee as the meeting closed. The invitation for public input could be better advertised.
Of the few attendees were Carol from GCL and Steve from Robertson cr hatchery. There was also three people from Tofino Ahousat voicing there concerns. Other than that it was a pretty small turn out.
Other than myself the consensus amongst the attendees is that we are in a salmon crisis and between stress from global warming, fish farms, and logging the situation is dire. Someone also mentioned predation too.
I gave my input and was attempting to give some positive insight on environment chemistry which has changed for the better lately. There was a lot of mixed ideas and opinions amongst the group.
When I followed up via the govt style web input form there was too small of box to comment which only allowed enough characters to give a few short sentences. I it was kind of like the srkw public input form. Not sure how sincere it all is but hope something good comes out of it.

I attended the Campbell River session, it was well attended with around 45 people. Heavy contingent of Fish Farming industry folks. Bigger topics of discussion were; Watershed based management boards to better integrate local knowledge, experts and coordinate our limited resources around key priorities; predation came up; lots of stream keepers concerned about fish habitat; and a discussion about DFO needing to reorganize to establish more efficient lines of control and accountability - moving away from the current matrix management structure towards a hierarchical management structure with clearer lines of communication, accountability to create efficiencies and avoid duplication of effort.

Back