Ocean Boats

Falcon

Just a thought on boats that'd be suitable for fishing salmon in-shore as well as off-shore for tuna. Has anyone ever considered a center console boat like this one below for the West Coast, a 29 foot Cobia 296 with a 10 foot beam that holds 240 gallons of fuel and runs with two 250HP motors on the back? I think the first time I saw one up here was Willie Mitchell's "Invincible", which is a beauty.

I know it's hard to stay out of the weather on these things when running to the fishing grounds, which can be mitigated easily with the bigger boats as they have covers around the console, everyone loves a pilot house here in BC, but I think I spend the majority of my time in decent weather out on the cockpit deck in the open anyways.

There's a ton of these for sale in Florida and they have a huge fuel capacity for a tuna run, they are expensive new but you can really get a sweet deal on a used one.

View media item 655

Last edited:
If you are strictly a summer boater/fisher that could work out. I have come to appreciate a fort on a boat as I fish year round. Maybe I am just getting soft as I get older though.

I had a centre consul way back, loved it in the good days, cursed it on rough weather/water days. nothing beats a pilothouse.

Those ocean masters are solid man.....fish assassin and I did a charter on tunacious out of Westport.....man what a machine but you do get wet.....as in rain gear is an absolute must on those CC boats if you 're going offshore

The good thing is you could always put a windshield on it, and then sides eventually, while you're at it might as well do a back door, then get a good propane heater...

I love and had a centre console I bought in LA and brought up here. Kept it 4 years. Hydra Sport, Great boat, but, I got caught many a time in ****** rainy weather. Even with side wings and a solid top on the boat, I got frigging soaked. Nothing wrong with the design. But we live in a rain forest, you're gonna get ****** weather and a centre console just don't cut it for protection. They are great in Florida or on the Med where its 30 degrees everyday and rains only in the winter. If I was every to buy a centre console, I'd recommend a Southport. They are awesome boats. But that will only happen if Climate Change drives our weather into the 30's every summer with no rain. Doubt that'll ever happen, and if it does, we're probably f$cked.....

The good thing is you could always put a windshield on it, and then sides eventually, while you're at it might as well do a back door, then get a good propane heater...
Don't forget to close in the bow. Cant have an open bow around here.

B1C27805-DBEE-4242-842C-5FCAF50C66C0.jpeg I have a podded 26 Hourston with a center console, windshield and canvas and twin power for sale

It is currently harvesting salmon and halibut on WCVI and soon will be hitting the canyons for the longfins

PM for more info.

Well, I too hate being cold, wet and wind burnt and even on the nicest day leaving the dock it is not unusual to be out cold and wet fishing in a fog bank - so for me personally it is a must to be able to get out of the elements into a warm dry cabin and watch the lines from there. I also can't help thinking that a 29 foot cc isn't going to be easy to sell with our weather here if and when you decide that you want to let it go.

Back