Now they want stanley park renamed?!

nedarb2

Its clearly been a park and named name for thousands </u>of years you know...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/07/01/bc-stanley-park-rename-xwayxway.html

img3937n.jpg

Of course the government will do whatever they ask... They may as well ask for more money while theyre at it... and more land... and more houses built for them so they can tear apart the deck and siding for firewood..

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Of course the government will do whatever they ask... They may as well ask for more money while theyre at it... and more land... and more houses built for them so they can tear apart the deck and siding for firewood..

x2.

Next on the docket.....Prince Rupert. He was not here first or second.....

[:0]

Rename Vancouver next ?
While we are at it why not just go back to the teepee and longhouse ? Too many big buildings here in this city anyway - tear em down! ;)

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

Rename Vancouver next ?
While we are at it why not just go back to the teepee and longhouse ? Too many big buildings here in this city anyway - tear em down! ;)

All kidding aside however, I really do like keeping the aboriginal names for some areas. I really like the name Haida Gwaii but not sure yet about changing the name of Stanley Park back to its aboriginal name. I need further thought on that one.

Ahhh, it's been awhile since I've seen a good racist/redneck First Nations bashing thread.

Way to go guys.lol

When political correctness has gotten to the point where any one group is above criticism we are lost.
Some groups have become like entitled children who never can do anything wrong and we all know how those turn out.

A liar will assume you are lying

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Well, if I remember correctly, when Columbus paddled down what for the time being is the Fraser River to meet Captain Cook at the Nootka Lighthouse for some salmon fishing, they got pissed on Lucky and renamed every damn thing.
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Keep breathing everyone. It will be okay. My native buddies still call the Salish Sea the Gulf by the way.

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I really like the quote ! Awesome.

Why is it that the minority always gets the most press? An a-hole comes in every race and denomination , native or otherwise. If that weren't the case as fishermen and women we should all be busted for poaching! As gun owners we're all mentally deranged criminals but if you want to go extreme:

A young man inherits a still that was run during the prohibition years by his grandfather and is arrested for having the equipment for illegally producing alcohol.

As he is being sentenced the judge asks if he has anything to say.

The young man thinks for a moment and says, "Well your Honour, if I'm going to jail for this then you had better ad rape to the list of charges."

The judge looks at him and says,"Young man! Are you admitting to Rape?!"

The young man replies, "No your Honour, but I sure as hell have the equipment!"

You can find a way to label people any way you want to if you look hard enough.

Regardless of whether the government wants to feel guilty for the fact we won the war with the natives when the country was settled, it will be called Stanley Park until all of the people who grew up calling it that are dead and a new name could actually take effect. In the mean time they'll spend millions getting all of the tourism brochures reprinted, the TV ads redone, the signage changed etc., etc.

What do they care, it's only tax payers money.

I say we'd be happy to change the name, but all related costs involved in doing so will be coming out of the Native settlement and Treaty funds. How long do you think they'd want the name changed if They had to pay for it?

Let them change the name and give them the park too. They just have to maintain it at present standards at their cost.

Yeah, and maybe they can throw a couple more neon boards up for advertising[:0]

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!! ;)

quote:Stanley Park won't be renamed

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980)
Terry Schintz | Email news tips to Terry
7/6/2010

The federal government says the name of Stanley Park is not going to be changed.

That from cabinet minister Stockwell Day late Monday afternoon.

Some had been pushing to rename the park "Xwayxway", the aboriginal name for a village located there long ago.

Day says Stanley Park's name is very well established, is cherished by the people of Vancouver and recognized around the world. He says Stanley Park will remain Stanley Park.

quote:Originally posted by smiley66

Leave the name alone. It is an opinion and not bashing anyone non-native/native. Just laugh at posts that claim if you disagree you are bashing LOL.

This issue is just plain stupid compared to other issues out there.

Smiley66

AGREE !!!
....the problem is there are plenty of people (native and others)that don't find it stupid.... cultural issues can be among the most important of all for some groups - yes, probably even more important to some than increasing fish stocks [V]

Back