Northern Gateway APPROVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, like the ruling or not this will surely have consequences for Enbridge's Northern Gateway project proposal among other development projects in BC. Enbridge's arrogant dismissal of the importance of FN collaboration may well be the thing that eventually puts the death knell in this pipeline project. The court battles were going to be fierce either way but this ruling only gives FN more ammo to support their position (and most of BC's position) regarding this particular project.

http://www.vancouversun.com/busines...+land+title+Tsilhqot+First/9970838/story.html

...The court battles were going to be fierce either way but this ruling only gives FN more ammo to support their position (and most of BC's position) regarding this particular project.

http://www.vancouversun.com/busines...+land+title+Tsilhqot+First/9970838/story.html

aYup:

"Future economic activity on title lands, involving anything from mines and logging to pipelines and hydroelectric projects, will require the “consent” of title-holding First Nations"

The cost of doing business just went WAAAAAY Up! And methinks this ruling may very well be the death blow for this pipeline...

http://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/14246/index.do

Cheers,
Nog

aYup:

The cost of doing business just went WAAAAAY Up! And methinks this ruling may very well be the death blow for this pipeline...

Cheers,
Nog

IMO, the cost of doing business that has massive EXTERNALIZED costs (such as unsustainable resource extraction/development) NEEDS to go way up. For too long industry preached free market capitalism but only 1 side of of the ledger, namely the side with Revenue and Profits. As for the Expense side, they have been very happy to "socialize" the costs of their industries in the form of pollution and other health and safety issues that the general public (taxpayers) have to deal with in the form of hospital bills, pollution remediation, etc. These are massive costs that must be taken on by industry if they want to play by their preferred rules of free-market capitalism... and frankly, they have lobbied hard to ensure they evade these costs at the expense of the rest of us.

The way in which the cost of doing business may now go up is not my preferred solution as it doesn't address the underlying issues but the fact of the matter is many of these proposed projects (oil & gas, mining, etc) would not see the light of day if their true costs were incorporated into the proposals in the first place.

That said, we should continually be trying to lower the cost of doing business for projects and industries that do realize/accept their true costs (ie have them internalized). The red tape and hoops must be reduced to allow responsible industries to flourish. There is a long way to go on that front as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Northern Gateway approved has now been changed to Northern Gateway dead in the water.
The pipeline route that was on Crown Land is now FN Land.
And they will decide if they want it there, not Harper the oil minister.

Northern Gateway approved has now been changed to Northern Gateway dead in the water.
The pipeline route that was on Crown Land is now FN Land.
And they will decide if they want it there, not Harper the oil minister.
Not so fast GLG. There is a clause in the ruling that the process can be bypassed if it is proven to be substantially and compelling in the greater public interest

Don't be quick to jump on that particular clause...

"The case involved provincial forestry licenses that were granted in the claimed territory.

Justice McLachlin found that the province – which argued that the licenses should be granted due to economic need as well as because of the requirement to attack the Mountain Pine Beetle infestation -- hadn’t met the “compelling and substantial” test."

Who will it be that decides if a pipeline meets the "compelling and substantial” test more-so than eradicating Pine Beetle Infestations. I'd hazard a guess it will eventually be the very same Court that handed down this Decision today... ;)

Legal analysts have said a ruling such as Thursday’s would significantly strengthen the hand of First Nations in B.C. or Alberta who want to file a land claim on territory along the Gateway route, and hope to obtain an injunction preventing construction while that claim is heard.Geraldine Thomas-Fleurer, co-ordinator for the Yinka Dene Alliance in north-central B.C. which opposes Enbridge’s Northern Gateway project, said the decision “changes everything” in their fight against the mega-project.
She said they will now think “deeply” of what their approach will be to the pipeline, doing everything they can to use the high court decision to their advantage.
The Alliance represents six First Nations in north central B.C. which claim traditional territory that covers about 25 per cent of the pipeline route

The very least I see in this is a series of extremely long delays due to impending legal battles. Certainly long enough to stall any further development until well after the next Fed election when, Hopefully, we will be shed of the current DICKtator and his cronies...
wink.png

Cheers,
Nog

Certainly long enough to stall any further development until well after the next Fed election when, Hopefully, we will be shed of the current DICKtator and his cronies...
wink.png

Yup !

Not so fast GLG. There is a clause in the ruling that the process can be bypassed if it is proven to be substantially and compelling in the greater public interest

I'm aware of that part, I read the document that Nog kindly posted a link to.
As far as I can tell the tanker endbridge has a mooring line rapped around the prop with this ruling.
She is dead in the water and can't maneuver.
Now it's up to FN and Canadians to sink her in the courts and in the court of opinion.
I suspect that the JRP will have to be done one more time. ie back to square one.

Good luck, sorry to break his dream, All fossil fuels are dirty, you can't just pick and choose thinking one is dirtier than the other. The world is NOT willing to be weaned off this fuel. I am ready to adapt to what we have to do even if that means not being able to travel by bus or airplane to protest these fuels.

[r8h28sA_3y0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8h28sA_3y0

Enbridge's commitment to safety and environmental protection is looking a little shaky after the National Energy Board stopped work along a crude oil pipeline in Manitoba following an inspection that turned up "numerous non-compliances" around maintenance.

The NEB's concerns are with the land around Line 3 near Cromer, Man., not the actual pipe or the $7.5-billion project to replace the half-century-old pipeline.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Ewart+Enbridge+falls+short+pledge/10064303/story.html

"Enbridge said flooding and heavy rainfall in Manitoba in June hampered its efforts to address concerns raised by a landowner. The company said Friday it has started work to address the NEB's concerns and will complete an assessment of safety and environmental issues by Aug. 4" - Ironic how adverse and unexpected weather events are causing problems for Enbridge to fulfill it's stewardship duties. Good thing there are never any weather issues across Norther BC and on the North Coast :0

Some common sense and from one of your own which surprises me..
One of "our own"?????

Not only are you misjudging who "we" are and who "we" call our "own", Walleyes - but seriously - as SpringVelocity suggested - do some background on Moore...

Regardless of who he is what he has to say makes sense,, well to people who have sense..

I am curious why are you so outspoken on this topic you are not really protecting your industry. I assume you work in it. I was there too, and totally understand why people are there. Its not easy working up North.

What do you think is going to happen to all the upgrading facilities etc. Fort Mac will turn into simple SAGD pumping put it in pipe and go...You will have jobs initially but come 5 years from the time China starts getting it some of those jobs up there will go bye bye...I am just stating the obvious... The main reason I oppose the pipeline is it actually hurts Alberta's jobs... Your effectively doing what BC does with raw logs. We need to refine here. Much like we need to mill our wood here..Why give it to China to refine....

Now there is one thing I agree on. There are few enviro groups that have links to Chinese.... They are paid and used as a diversion so the chinese companies can sneak in there and grab up resources... If media is distracted peopl will likely focus on the enviro story and not company x buying up oilsands...

If you end outsourcing ( force companies to keep work onshore) and keep manufacturing here you end the need for freighters = no pipeline. We all did it to our self... Cheap goods and pushed all our manufacturing and jobs offshore...China doesn't have fuel to keep up with demand... Thats why were in this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back