North Gulf Islands Prawning/Shrimping

Swanny

Hi All - Just curious if anyone can give me a little advice on where (if any) someone can prawn around the Northern Gulf Islands (Saturna, Pender, Mayne)? I decided to get into prawning/shrimping and I am familar with the San Juan hotspots, but I'm at a loss about the above locations. I appreciate any tips and I can in turn point anyone towards good areas in the San Juan Islands....Swanny

hey swanny,, go try a few spots,,steep ledges that flatten out to 225 to 300 and let us know what ya find.... for your second post ;)

why are prawners the laziest fisherman lol...

Good luck on the water...

hey swanny,, go try a few spots,,steep ledges that flatten out to 225 to 300 and let us know what ya find.... for your second post ;)

You are EXACTLY right Trophy....I figured I would get slayed by posting a question like this on my first post. I don't blame you guys at all for any negative comments. I thought I would give it a shot. Just wondering if that particular locations hold prawns.

We go up to Orcas a few times a year with family and me an my Dad usually fish the Northern Gulfs for Lings/Rocks. This year we are investing in shrimp pots and a puller for use in US shrip season. I cannot post much on this board because I do not have much to offer in BC fishing advice. Like I mentioned in my post...if anyone wants to know any of my honeyholes for salmon/crab/shrimp in US waters ..I will gladly swap info for info.....that's all I got....thanks for any input...

Swanny

Last edited by a moderator:
yup they are the southern gulf islands... but they are north of the san juans so maybe that's what he meant :) Anyways, prawning in the southern gulf islands can be a bit of a challenge. I've been exploring for new areas for years and years and seems like my hot spots (which only get me about 20-30 prawns per trap per soak) are perhaps some of the best around. I've had a few nice hauls with 50+ per trap but in general it's nothing like the 100+ you can get elsewhere in BC waters. I haven't heard of too many guys killing it for prawns anywhere around mayne, pender, saturna, etc. but I will keep testing new waters.

Are those Islands not the "southern gulf islands"????

yup they are the southern gulf islands... but they are north of the san juans so maybe that's what he meant :) Anyways, prawning in the southern gulf islands can be a bit of a challenge. I've been exploring for new areas for years and years and seems like my hot spots (which only get me about 20-30 prawns per trap per soak) are perhaps some of the best around. I've had a few nice hauls with 50+ per trap but in general it's nothing like the 100+ you can get elsewhere in BC waters. I haven't heard of too many guys killing it for prawns anywhere around mayne, pender, saturna, etc. but I will keep testing new waters.

Thanks Tin....Yes you are correct...I meant the Southern Gulf Islands...anyway it sounds like it's probably not worth the trouble for the reward (if any)...if anyone needs any help for locations South of the border feel free to PM me........Swanny

Back