Nootka Sound update?

Gomesy

Crew Member
I was wondering if anyone went to Nootka this past long weekend? And if so, how you did?

I've got a trip planned for the area at the end of the month.

Thanks

I was there Friday and Sat, fished 300' off Bajo for hali, limited w fish to 62", drifting berkeley power grubs in white/glow. Blown off the offshore on saturday. Prawning further inside good. I did not fish for Springs.

Thanx for the update TT I missed prawning there this year. Man you can catch some monsters there.

That's great news tomictime. I appreciate it. I've never done that well prawning there. I tried in front of Cougar Creek with mixed results including a small octopus, but I'll give it another try.

Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by Gomesy

I was wondering if anyone went to Nootka this past long weekend? And if so, how you did?

I've got a trip planned for the area at the end of the month.

Thanks

A friend of mine has been out in Esperanza Inlet area the last couple of days. They tried targeting Salmon at Rosa and Birthday Channel without any result today (Tuesday). They have caught a few Rockfish and have done well on Prawns.

Weather kept them inside the inlets the last two days. A couple of days ago, they did pick up a Halibut and some Lingcod. Nothing to get excited about yet. He did pick up one Salmon about 15 pounds last week, can't remember what day.

They are headed to Ferrer in the morning - I'll try and give you a report then.

..a bit off topic (Hali) but I ran two bait containers per pot. Down here we go with a bait that disperses very quickly - full jar will be gone in 2 hrs in a decent tide. We also tend to cycle the pots every hour and a half, but all we are doing is prawning in our..BIG one day season..
Quick bait is ground up ace of baits pellets (or other comm salmon food) with a 50/50 mix of salmon oil and veggie oil to cut it. Add a can of jack mackrel if you are feeling rich. The other bait container is straight pellets (not ground), so they have a reason to stay in the pot. My best depths were 225' to 270 up there.

Hope that helps a bit..

Thanks for the info guys. I can't wait to get up there, I just hope the weather is nice. One weeks to go and counting.

Back