Nootka sound / Esperanza reports Spring/Summer 2013

Any of you guys/gals fishing up "north" Island care to share what's been working for you?

I was hoping to pull large spoons or plugs.....or larger bait to "try" and keep the coho away and will reluctantly troll plastic if I have to. :p

you should try a nice fly pattern for surface feeding halibut or yellow eye:)

Irish Cream (Green and White Tomic 6") worked for us two weeks ago off shore at Bajo. Their Pilchard Spoon had some luck too. Most of our fish though were caught on anchovy both at Bajo and inshore using the bullet roll holder (green and gold or black and gold) with the green/gold betsy flasher. 37-60 Ft, but most at 42....Also, not sure about anyone else, but, early morning always produces better results for us at Nootka 0600-0800 range

Spent the 22nd till the 26th at Moutcha. Took Dad who was skeptical given last years dismal fishing trip. Full moon plus commie opening had no impact on fishing. Spent 10 bucks in gas as I never left Moutcha Bay. Chalk full of springs. Full limits for 3 of us. All in the 20 pound range. All on plugs. Best trip of the season bar none. Should have gone again this weekend but freezer is full. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Those fish look good. I once saw some video of the Kayak Derby and the fish were black. Nice job by the camera person catching the jumper in the background. Is one of the Moutcha guides still jigging/snagging with barbed buzzbombs?

Spent long weekend over at Moutcha Bay .Got the fish I went for Hali and cod .Did not see to many Hali.Did not get to fish out frount for first two days .But that was ok ,I got the Hali in a spot ,That if I told any one they would tell me where to go.It was 28 lb .Pulled a few lings ,and othere cod.That same spot gave us fish for two days ,What a find .Fished all day on the out side ,One small Hali and more cod ,and one northan coho_On the bbq tonight.I did not fish for springs but othere people got lots ,The Kayakers got 17 one morning,And the Derby winner was a 28lb.Only bad the resort had no ice for your fish ,If you cant package it ,I would like to keep my catch on ice,and not at $4 a bag ,not frozen.nootka 2013 009.jpg

Spent time at Critter Cove in the Fishing for Hearts Derby the 26th, 27th and 28th. The first day was slow but we marked a ton of fish in Tahsis Inlet. We finally went down to Moutcha Bay and switched to jigging with stingzildas. What a blast! On the 28th we hooked and released almost 30 springs, and most of them were silver. With the rains they must have missed the nets the night before and made it to the Bay. Derby winner was caught right next to us, a 29 pound spring. Thanks to the derby winners who gave us some antiseptic to clean the puncture marks in my arm, which had a treble hook impaled in it up to the shaft. Learned a big lesson on how not to take hooks out of a big fish's mouth. Sure glad we crimped the barbs.......

Finally got home and struggled thru the painful process of getting pics from the camera to photo bucket to here but I think it worked.

It was a great summer with lots of fish and only a couple days of rain and two wind days where I could not go outside.

yes hud52 those holes in your arm looked painful, glad we had some antiseptic to give to you.
the wife and I had such a great time at critter cove met some awesome people. And the fishing for hearts derby what a great cause, counting the days till we can go back :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Esperanza last week (Wed - Fri). 7 guys on 3 boats. Everyone limited out on Coho. 35 - 60 ft - although some took the lines as we were letting them down. Pretty much everything we put down worked: anchovies, white hoochies, coho killers, army truck hoochies etc.
Probably lost as many as we got in the boats. All in all, a pretty great couple of days.

Esperanza last week (Wed - Fri). 7 guys on 3 boats. Everyone limited out on Coho. 35 - 60 ft - although some took the lines as we were letting them down. Pretty much everything we put down worked: anchovies, white hoochies, coho killers, army truck hoochies etc.
Probably lost as many as we got in the boats. All in all, a pretty great couple of days.
Any size to these fish?

Back