Nootka Sound Accommodations

Finally

This past July I organized a small fishing trip at Telegraph cove after some great feedback from this forum. We had a great time! This year I am planning on fishing the waters of Nootka Sound during the later half of July. Our group will be 4 people. Moutcha Bay Resort and Critter Cove seem like two good choices that are within our price range. Moutcha Bay has spots available and we are still waiting to hear back from critter as those who stayed there previously get first crack for next years bookings.

Assuming both options become available, what would be the best choice?
How far of a ride is it to the productive fishing spots from Moutcha or Critter during mid to late July?
Any other places you would recomend staying at? (we do not want to camp)

We would be mostly fishing the inside as we are running a 17' Tyee, however if conditions are favorable we would like to make a run to get some bottom fish if possible. Look forward to hearing your feedback! (PM me if you like) Thanks

Critter Cove would be my choice, its a lot closer to prime fishing, at that time of the year. Having said that, however I have not stayed at Moutcha for several years, Moutcha may be a nicer place to stay now. .........BB

Google Earth could be your friend, if looking for a cabin to stay – turn those pictures on! Might even see a few from me. If you are looking for a BYOB facility where you don’t have to pack anything in, here is a list of the ones I know of. I have been to, but not necessarily have stayed at all. They are all good, just depends on where and how far you want to travel to fish, what you want provided, and how much you want to pay! :)

Bligh Island Fishing Lodge
Chinootka Lodge
Critter Cove
Flynn's Cove
Moutcha Bay Resort
Newton Cove Lodge
Nootka Island Fishing Lodge
Nootka Sound Resort
Oyster Island Adventures
Pacific Safaris
Rogers Fishing Lodge
Utopia Bay
Westview Marina, Tahsis

I am sure if you want specific information on any of the above, you can get a lot on here. There is of the above with some quides also, found here:
http://www.nootkasound.com/sport-fishing/lodges/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nootka island lodge is a good place to stay at if your planning on fishing the outside waters or you cold get a guided trip i worked there the last 2 seasons as a guide and the fishing is amazing!

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. How long of a run is it from moutcha bay to critter? There looks like some good options in Esperenza although the size restrictions might pose some problems.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. How long of a run is it from moutcha bay to critter? There looks like some good options in Esperenza although the size restrictions might pose some problems.

moutcha to critter maybe 15mins with your boat(17 malibu tyee)

Critter Cove is closer to where the fish are at that time of year. It's a 5 minute run to the fishing grounds from there. I have been going there at that time of year for the past 5 years and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. The Forbes family, who run Critter Cove, are great hosts! However, due to the fact it is very difficult to get into Critter Cove at any other time during the prime fishing time in Nootka, my pals and I are also booked into Moucha late July/early August next year. The accommodations there are terrific, and so they should with the 10 million that they have invested in upgrading the site over the past year or so. Fuel costs will be higher getting to and from Moucha Bay to the fishing grounds.

Owen, have you caught up on your sleep yet? Your right Owen this summer was one of the most productive years ever. Fishing came on strong in June and lasted until the end of August on the outside.

The forecasts for next year are even better than this year!!!!!!!!

Back