Noobie buying a boat

Where in Barkley Sound do you plan to fish? I have a 18ft. Carmanah Silver Streak that I fish there all summer in it’s great.

Welcome to the forum, I bought my 1st boat last year, went with a well looked after 80’s K&C 18.5 ft with 2016 lease return mercury 115hp and 9.9 kicker pro. Cost us 13k, and it’s done everything we’ve asked of it from fishing, being a platform to camp from, day trips to various local islands. Now that I’ve been on the forum and have seen the costs of boating upgrades, the boat just keeps seeming like a better deal. I.e suspension seat $1000+, fuel tank in the bow $500+, 2nd steering station near stern, dual battery set up, electric winch on trailer etc. We will get ourselves a bigger newer boat at some point, but this boat will meet our needs till the 2footitis kicks in.
I saw the add at 8 am and had bought the boat by 11am, with 4-5 people waiting to see it behind me. So act fast if you see a good deal.

Attachments

• A0DD61B1-4555-40F6-9804-8250A602ABDF.jpeg
    A0DD61B1-4555-40F6-9804-8250A602ABDF.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 47
Many here have suggested that fiberglass makes sense for a used, starter boat. I agree. They are an inexpensive foot in the door if you choose the right ones. Many here are fans of Double Eagles, Malibu (not the ski boats) and Arima, for three. Others like their Trophys and Stripers. You can buy one, with good power and use it for a couple of years to gain valuable experience and to hone your wish list. They sell quickly with very little depreciation, if and when you decide to move on. I have spent time on friend's welded aluminum boats and I can see the attraction for some but I prefer fiberglass.
There was an Arima Sea Chaser on UsedVic three years ago that I still think about.....
Where in Barkley Sound do you plan to fish? I have a 18ft. Carmanah Silver Streak that I fish there all summer in it’s great.
I have a property at Salmon Beach which would be home base. I figure I should be able to access the whole sound and Alberni Inlet. My neighbors up there are full of good tips too....any Barkley Sound pointers you have would be fully appreciated too.

Welcome to the forum, I bought my 1st boat last year, went with a well looked after 80’s K&C 18.5 ft with 2016 lease return mercury 115hp and 9.9 kicker pro. Cost us 13k, and it’s done everything we’ve asked of it from fishing, being a platform to camp from, day trips to various local islands. Now that I’ve been on the forum and have seen the costs of boating upgrades, the boat just keeps seeming like a better deal. I.e suspension seat $1000+, fuel tank in the bow $500+, 2nd steering station near stern, dual battery set up, electric winch on trailer etc. We will get ourselves a bigger newer boat at some point, but this boat will meet our needs till the 2footitis kicks in.
I saw the add at 8 am and had bought the boat by 11am, with 4-5 people waiting to see it behind me. So act fast if you see a good deal.
That fully makes sense..... you can do a lot of upgrades before you get to $50k +.

Do you happen to know what your towing weight is for that setup? My other issue is that I'd rather not upgrade my vehicle in order to tow.

Power Squadron isn’t offering courses through Covid. Next step up is SVOP. Doing it this current weekend. Heck of course. My brain hurts....

There was an Arima Sea Chaser on UsedVic three years ago that I still think about.....

I have a property at Salmon Beach which would be home base. I figure I should be able to access the whole sound and Alberni Inlet. My neighbors up there are full of good tips too....any Barkley Sound pointers you have would be fully appreciated too.
Salmon Beach is handy to lots of good fishing: over to the Uclulet side or around the corner to Effingham and Cree. And you're right at the Broken Group for sight-seeing.

That fully makes sense..... you can do a lot of upgrades before you get to $50k +.

Do you happen to know what your towing weight is for that setup? My other issue is that I'd rather not upgrade my vehicle in order to tow.

Yah, even better to buy a boat someone else paid to upgrade. Only things I had to purchase were a prop guard, life jackets and downriggers. But that’s close to $2500 right there, without fishing gear. I figured I’d buy all the nice gear as the boat was cheap and then when I get a nicer boat, I still have my high end gear. And you won’t be spending +80k on a new boat then realizing you need another 5k more in other boating gear.

Not exactly sure on the towing weight, We tow it with a 06 Toyota Tacoma and have no problems.

I’m at Salmon Beach also where is your lot ask away!

Salmon Beach is handy to lots of good fishing: over to the Uclulet side or around the corner to Effingham and Cree. And you're right at the Broken Group for sight-seeing.
Old vs new aside...you can see why I reeeeeeealllly want a boat.
I’m at Salmon Beach also where is your lot ask away!
Great to meet another Salmon Beacher....we're on 6th a few lots up from the turn to the boat launch. Had the property about 3 years now. Love it.

Are you next to the Conelys ? I’m on lower 6th just down from you we’re almost neighbours!

Last edited:
Fellow I work with one of my cross shifts just bought a bare lot in Salmon Beach last week.

Anyway if you’re planning to fish there most of the time I wouldn’t go any smaller than 18ft. A boat that size will get you to most of the popular spots from SB.

Another thing to think about is if you want to explore some of the islands around SB, it would be easier to beach or bring the boat up close to shore in a tin boat.

17 to 19' Arima, Hourston, double eagle would be a great entry point, in my opinion. I'd be concerned about blowing your wad on a brand new aluminum rig that may not meet your needs, after you have determined what your needs really are. If you find something under 20k it will help you narrow down your requirements and you can't get hurt too badly on resale. Good luck on your search.

Back