No more day launching from China Creek

casper5280

Crew Member
Just received a letter from China Creek Marina, aside from rates going up 12% and infrastructure replacement there will no longer be day launches.

"We recognize parking has been a challenge over the years, so we are working on solutions. Although there is no immediate capacity to add more parking, we will be reducing the demand for parking by discontinuing boat launching at China Creek. Therefore, launching is only available to customers with camping or mooring reservations."

Just a heads up for people making there summer plans.

Drove by there last summer at the end of July. I literally couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

Port Authority doesnt want the fishing at China Creek, they want to cater to the surfers and family campers . If China Creek (Port Authority) wanted the fishing crowd they'd have the restaurant'/tackle shop open and the freezers going like in the past...

Just received a letter from China Creek Marina, aside from rates going up 12% and infrastructure replacement there will no longer be day launches.

"We recognize parking has been a challenge over the years, so we are working on solutions. Although there is no immediate capacity to add more parking, we will be reducing the demand for parking by discontinuing boat launching at China Creek. Therefore, launching is only available to customers with camping or mooring reservations."

Just a heads up for people making there summer plans.
Doesnt surprise me, they have a gold mine for tourism in Port and what have they done in 40 years .....FA ! Oh sorry they rebuilt the docks at China Creek and REDUCED the moorage capacity hahaha

That is insane if that is the case.
On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 3:06 PM Cecilia Addy - Port Alberni Port Authority <caddy@papa-appa.ca> wrote:

Good Afternoon,

Happy New Year! We hope everyone enjoyed the holidays and the beautiful winter wonderland.

This is a busy time of year for the Port Authority and China Creek Campground as we gear up to open for the 2022 season. Its amazing that there is only 12 weeks until spring is upon us and the park opens. We would like to share some things that are happening at the campground in preparation for opening and things to look forward to when you return.

We have been doing preventative repairs and upgrades to our water and septic system which will be continuing into the spring as weather permits. Although we are lucky to have a very good clean water source, sanitation and disinfection of the water distribution system are priority. We are having the inside of the reservoir cleaned to remove sediment build up and the system will be equipped with an automated disinfecting system to treat the water and reduce boil water advisories.

With respect to our septic system, it is aging, and during an inspection we found a tank needs to be replaced. Currently we have a new tank being designed and we are waiting for a timeline for install. If all goes as planned, we expect this will be done prior to opening the campground so there is no disruption to our customers.

We recognise parking has been a challenge over the years, so we are working on solutions. Although there is no immediate capacity to add more parking, we will be reducing the demand for parking by discontinuing boat launching at China Creek. Therefore, launching is only available to customers with camping or mooring reservations.

Nick is in the process of assigning seasonal sites and sending invoices to all our seasonal patrons. The China Creek website has all the camping, pet and moorage agreements as well as the campground and marina policies and rules. When you provide your payment for 2022, it would be helpful to also include your signed camping and/or moorage agreements.

Our rates for the 2022 season can be viewed here https://campchinacreek.com/camping/. Please note there is a 12% increase to seasonal camping fees this year which is an average increase of $309 for a seasonal site. When we reviewed similar Vancouver Island campgrounds offering seasonal camping, we found that our rates were below average in comparison. As China Creek Campground and Marina offers unique inlet access, beautiful views and full-service facilities and amenities we are striving to have our rates reflect market value. Therefore, we have a plan in place to increase seasonal camping fees by 12% for 5 years and as of 2026, the seasonal camping fees will reflect a 50% reduction over nightly camping.

China Creek Campground recognises the importance of reducing our environmental footprint. We have a beautiful location with pristine wilderness, wildlife and waterways and we want to do all we can to preserve it and where possible make it better. So, we have committed to creating our Eco-Pledge which will be an extension to our Camping Pledge. Our Eco-Pledge will be our way of committing to taking care of our park, wildlife and waterways. We will start with enhancing our recycling program and encouraging everyone to put in place best practices, such as packing out what you pack in. Over the next couple of years, we will gradually reduce our garbage services while increasing our recycling services. Our goal is to replace 4 of our 5 dumpsters that go to the landfill with recycling services over next 3 to 5 years. Additionally, we will be participating in the WildSafeBC Bare Campsite program to create awareness of wildlife in campgrounds and reducing attractants and risks to wildlife and visitors. We welcome ideas and suggestions of other ways we can add to our Eco-Pledge, such as a salt water fed fish cleaning table to reduce fresh water use. ~ Yes, we are looking into this too ~

This is a general overview of some of the things we are working towards and certainly doesn’t capture everything. We have some ideas to utilise the former concession area, which we will keep as a surprise. We hope COVID restrictions will ease enough that we can bring back Saturday night movie night, the recreation program and the greatly missed annual Kids Bull Head Derby. We will do our best to get these events going and we will keep everyone as informed as best we can.

In the meantime, Nick and I and the rest of the team look forward to seeing everyone soon and wish you all the best.

Regards,

Cecilia Addy, MFSO

Manager Marina Services | Directrice des Services de Marina

Port Alberni Port Authority | Administration Portuaire de Port Alberni

Rising Tides and New Horizons|
Marées Montantes et Nouveaux Horizons
Office/Bureau: 250-723-5312 ext. 239​
Cell: 250-731-4862​

Seasonal camping increasing 12% for 5 years - WOW!
Can only imagine regular camping will be jacked up, too.
last summer, 3 nights in a tent site and moorage for 16’ boat was $240. I thought it was steep then, can’t wait to see what the quote is this summer!

Seasonal camping increasing 12% for 5 years - WOW!
Can only imagine regular camping will be jacked up, too.
last summer, 3 nights in a tent site and moorage for 16’ boat was $240. I thought it was steep then, can’t wait to see what the quote is this summer!

It will easily be over $ 100/night this year with moorage. Crazy, but I am sure the place will be packed ! I was just talking with a fellow I work with and sounds like he will just be parking his boat and trailer there for the season and splitting the cost with another buddy rather than a bunch of 3 -4 day trips since the cost is roughly the same.

Sounds like someone phoned Tofino and heard how stupid their rates were.

But they forgot China Creek is not Tofino, and in the afternoon it is so windy you can’t even go outside.

Going to be worse when they get the roads fixed, this is nothing. Probable bring in a toll on the road to non residents adding to the already ridiculous cost for BC residents to enjoy. WE pay for this in our taxes and yet they want us to pay threw the nose to enjoy it.

It is also been told to me that all sites with power are now metered and am assuming will be billed for power. Plus a 12% increase every year for the 5, plus whatever the new rates on moorage are. Really going to have think if it's really worth it to get a seasonal site anymore.

It is also been told to me that all sites with power are now metered and am assuming will be billed for power. Plus a 12% increase every year for the 5, plus whatever the new rates on moorage are. Really going to have think if it's really worth it to get a seasonal site anymore.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but in 2022 a 12% increase is not that bad.

I miss when camping was cheap. It still is if you’re at a provincial site in the middle of the forest with no services or amenities but these places on the ocean must be making a killing.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but in 2022 a 12% increase is not that bad.
Your probable not on a pension income like my buddy that's been up there fishing for over 30 years, loves his fishing and with the increase in fuel, anchovies, home tax due to govt cash grab and cost of groceries, that pension only goes so far. I feel they should have based the increase on age , like 65 plus 2% and we the balance , to say 12% isn't bad ....for u and I no but !

Your probable not on a pension income like my buddy that's been up there fishing for over 30 years, loves his fishing and with the increase in fuel, anchovies, home tax due to govt cash grab and cost of groceries, that pension only goes so far. I feel they should have based the increase on age , like 65 plus 2% and we the balance , to say 12% isn't bad ....for u and I no but !

i never said it was not bad for me I said it was not bad for this year. Where I’ve already seen much higher increasing in metal, gas. Meat rct

at 12% they are probably eating some of the increases that they have been hit from contractors and suppliers.

We have been told we are probably only going to get a 3% wage increase at work so it’s a kick to the nuts to me too. That’s comming off a the last few years where we have had less than 1.5% increases.

Back