No amount of meetings or letters will sway him, says Duncan ......gloves off boys

fishingbc

Angry anglers protest over halibut
Tamara CunninghamComox Valley Echo
Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Enraged saltwater anglers are threatening to give North Island MP John Duncan the hook.
Over 20 sport fishermen lined up outside the Courtenay constituency office Monday morning, waving signs in protest of Ottawa's decision to maintain the allocation formula for B.C. halibut. The group also picketed their elected representative, angry over his lackluster support for local fishermen.
If he doesn't start supporting constituents' concerns over halibut, North Islanders say they'll move to quash his re-election.
Protestors charge Duncan hasn't taken constituents' concerns to the federal level or turned out to public meetings, where fishermen have raised concerns over halibut catch limits.
North Islanders feel let down, said Bryan Allen, sports fishing director for the Courtenay Fish and Game Club.
"This (recent) decision could hurt a lot of businesses on the Island, from motels and tackle shops to marinas and campgrounds ... and yet John Duncan continues to dodge and weave and ignore our concerns," Allen said. "If he thinks there is no price to pay politically for supporting a handful of commercial guys over tens of thousands of B.C. anglers, he's wrong."
Other picketers standing outside Duncan's office were no less forgiving. Jeremy Maynard, a Campbell River fisherman, said the recent decision supported by Duncan, is a declaration of war on the recreational fishery and a betrayal of constituents. North Island fishermen wanted only a letter or phone call to the federal fisheries minister highlighting their concerns and Duncan failed to do that, he said.
Protestor Laurel Gareau questioned why Duncan has shied away from the debate when he once preached to North Islanders that as a fisherman he understood the importance of the industry.
"I'd like to see him grow a spine and do what his constituents elected him to do - represent us at the federal level," he said.
Federal fisheries minister Gail Shea started a firestorm last Tuesday when she announced the commercial fishery would maintain 88 per cent of the catch and the recreational 12 per cent under a formula in place since 2003. Individual anglers, however, can raise their limit by leasing quota from the commercial fishery.
The fishing sport sector is calling the move a complete and utter slap in the face and an abandonment of 300,000 B.C. sport anglers.
The decision will not only privatize a public resource but could damage a $650 million tidal sport industry, members say.
Anglers have never liked the halibut allocation, but the growing sector is now reaching its limit sooner, causing unpredictable season closings. Lodges and charters are having troubles booking advance trips and tackle shops don't know how many orders to make. Maintaining the formula could cause economic havoc, recreational fishermen argued last December.
The commercial sector has been battling back concerned their livelihood is at stake and was relieved last week when Shea announced the allocation would remain the same.
Shea has appointed Randy Kamp, her parliamentary secretary, to work with fisheries staff to find a long-term solution to the quandary in 2012. Recreational fishermen have little confidence anything will change, especially without the support of elected representatives.
Town hall meetings and protests are erupting across the province this week to rally support for a new split of at least 25 per cent. Conservative MPs who haven't already voiced their ridings concerns are being asked to reconsider, including Duncan.
Duncan, however, doesn't want to advocate or interfere in the management of fish. No amount of meetings or letters will sway him, he said.
"Every time in Canada's history where we have had politics take predominance over good management it's lead to measures that have not been good for conservation of our resource ... we need to think of the fish first," he said.
The long-time politician was reeling over message board comments that North Islanders were considering a movement to quash his re-election. The statements are unfair and lack understanding of his role in government, he said.
As the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development he can't get involved in other ministers' mandates.
The commercial and recreational sectors need to come to their own compromise about halibut allocation and the failure to come to an agreement so far is no fault of the government, he said.
"If both parties can get past their differences and come to a compromise that is the best way to go forward."
Tcunningham@comoxvalleyecho.com

© Comox Valley Echo 2011​

Hey, Duncan is wrong about what he can say or do. Under our system as a member of the Cabinet he is supposed to fully understand and support the Minister and Cabinet's decision. If he doesn't like it he should speak his mind or get out! He shouldn't be hiding behind "the poor me, what can I do" shield.
Duncan should listen to the majority rather than support the status quo for the commercial guys that don't fish their quota, all 300 of them. I know last night at the Maple Ridge town hall we had over thirty commercial guys there. And with the exception of one guy they all worked their licence and leased from others. One commercial fisherman after the meeting even came forward to say he almost lost his boat last year by buying quota too high and by time he unloaded he had only grossed 78 cents a pound. He almost lost his boat to the Bank! The current quota system is a problem for the commercial guys that actually fish too. And of the almost 300 slipper skippers only one was there and he leased his licence to his son.

Assuming he was not misquoted, he does not appear to understand this is not a conservation issue. I guess he woulkd have got that by attending a meeting eh?
Or maybe he is playing dumb to avoid speaking to the real issue....rich friends of gov't get the gold mine, joe public gets the shaft.

As to reaching a compromise....which part of this unilateral decision was negotiated? Maybe I blinked and missed that part?

He may as well start packing his ***** now! And if he is not going to move, then he should by a parka, as he is bound to encounter a few cold shoulders throughout the community/region. But hey, at least he will always have a few of the Commercial Fisermen's shoulders to cry on. (maybe he will be able to get a job with one of them once he has offishally lost his current one, LOL). Good bye Duncan, thanks for coming out! Don't let the door hit you in the butt when you leave! You are either with us or you are just in the way!

No you are not my MP, but I can't stand the way you are treating your constituents (my community neighbours), your behaviour and ambassadorship is absolutely despicable - you should be completely ashamed of yourself and the choices that you have made to represent yourself and the people that voted you into office. This country would be better off not having people like you involved in our governance. Enough said - Good-Bye!

"Every time in Canada's history where we have had politics take predominance over good management it's lead to measures that have not been good for conservation of our resource ... we need to think of the fish first,"

And That is EXACTLY why we are where we are today. Something Duncan helped preside over when it was formulated. "Thinking of the fish first" certainly wasn't on the table then. Nope, it was thinking of their wealthy and powerful buddies who carried their political lobby to the forefront which ensured the outcome was to their, and theirs alone, benefit. Apparently Duncan, Shea and Harper still concur that was, and is the best route to go...

The commercial and recreational sectors need to come to their own compromise about halibut allocation and the failure to come to an agreement so far is no fault of the government, he said. "If both parties can get past their differences and come to a compromise that is the best way to go forward."

"No fault of the Government"? Are you kidding me, or simply trying to. He full understands that at every juncture DFO has run interference between any suggestions of compromise between the two entities. Obviously the "keep them divided" tactic runs foremost to anything that might actually be productive. Tough to "get past their differences" when DFO is constantly creating new ones!

That said, I do believe we stand a better chance for positive change were we to band together with the Working Fishermen for the benefit of all. This latest volley from DFO very much hurts us both, and many on both sides can easily see that. What we need now is to come up with some type of mechanism that would allow those within the commercial sector that are concerned to join us at the table without fear of retribution. The absentee Fish Brokers have made it painfully clear that ANY who cross the line had best start seeking another form of employ, as any and all quota will be withheld from them as punishment for even speaking with us. VERY tough decision for those Folks to make. On one hand they understand this isn't right and that they, along with us, are getting screwed. On the other to say anything to that effect will result in the loss of their livelihood. Horrible position to be in, and yet another reason those Fish Brokers can so tightly control the reigns.

Any that have any thoughts on just how to address this important matter I would VERY much appreciate hearing from!

Cheers,
Nog

Osama I want you on my side when the war starts!

Two front page articles about shea's decision (she does not deserve a capital imho) in duncan's riding and he refuses to listen to his constituents!!
Time to GO duncan... we will make sure of that!
I will join you Holmes at every meeting duncan has at election time!

Yup-- thinking ahead -- I'm up for picketing each public (and private) meeting he attends.....

and i just sent him a check thanking him for putting the fish first and not letting political lobbying determine how fish are managed on this coast. Who knows if I have the time I might even help put the signs up for Mr. Duncan.

and i just sent him a check thanking him for putting the fish first and not letting political lobbying determine how fish are managed on this coast. Who knows if I have the time I might even help put the signs up for Mr. Duncan.

Yeah moron, you will go down with him. No more free cheques for you either in the future.

...thanking him for putting the fish first and not letting political lobbying determine how fish are managed on this coast.

Hate to burst your bubble - well maybe not so much... But:
Political Lobbying back in the late 90's and early 2000's very much determined how the fish are managed on our coast. And apparently Political Lobbying is still quite effective today for those with deep enough pockets who also understand just which of the hogs are eager to snuffle at their trough. Of course that is then backed up with the direct threat of legal action against those same hogs to ensure compliance is forthcoming. Bait 'em in and bust 'em. Quite an effective technique often employed when hunting hogs of a more natural stripe.

This Bull$hit line regarding "Political Lobby" efforts controlling the fishery coming from the mouths of the absentee Fish Brokers is getting a tad more than nauseating. Pointing fingers of outrage while they are directly involved in the exact same tactic is beyond hypocritical - it is subterfuge well beyond smoke and mirrors. Malicious LIES perpetrated by a handful of those who directly benefited from illegal actions created by their own political efforts actually. Thank The Goddess the General Public ain't quite as gullible as some of their own appear to be.

One way or another Duncan is toast. If his health does not prevent him from running again (and I actually hope it doesn't) he is in for one serious pounding at the polls. If you're considering putting up a "sign" for the Fool, you'd best start looking into helping erect a Political Headstone. Really.

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers fish4all,

Curious how Duncan's statements put fish first? I missed that part. I am also unsure how sending money to him will stop political lobbying? In fact...one might (and, in this case does) suggest that the lobbying you so quickly point out is then supported in your actions.

Waiting with baited breath...

Ah, no worries holmes. Since fish4one will be the only one putting up Duncan signs at least we will quickly see who and where he is.

You have clearly been lobbying with single minded dedication on this forum in support of the Slipper Skipper Fish Lords. Obviously you prefer not to talk about:

- the unfairness of the 88% commercial/12% recreational allocation and the intensive lobbying that was done by the Fish Lords to get this unfair allocation and to have DFO continue to defend it.

-the fact that the commercial allocation was given for free to the fish lords by heavily lobbied federal politicians and resulted in the privatization of a common resource to the detriment of the economic interests of BC, recreational anglers, voters and many of the commercial halibut fishermen who actually fish for a living but have to lease quota from the slipper skipper fish lords.

It would appear that you, Duncan, Shea and the Federal Conservatives would rather attempt to deceive the public and try to pretend that the issue is about good fishery management, conservation and putting fish first when any thinking individual with knowledge of the issue knows that it absolutely is not. It is pretty easy to see whose interests you actually want to put first.

The plain hard cold truth is the slipper skipper fish lords don’t want to see a fairer allocation because it would decrease their profits to a small degree. Further there are big money interests with political influence and power who love getting for free or very low cost, the fishery resources of Canada which they can control and make huge profits on forever.

I see you are bragging about having just sent Duncan a check for the support that he and his party have provided to the small group of fat cats who have been allowed once again to win out over the best interests of the BC economy, recreational anglers and the vast majority of voters. I have a hunch his campaign strategists are cringing a little that you are so blatantly bragging about cutting him a check for coming across to protect the unjustifiable financial interests of a few wealthy fish lord. I don’t think we will be surprised if a number of slipper skipper fish lords are also writing checks now. I think you know what this looks like to us and I suspect many voters.

Feel free to go work on Duncan’s Campaign putting up signs and stuffing envelopes and take some of your fish lord slipper skipper friends with you. It may be the first real work they have had to do in some time to support the unfair 88/12 allocation and the continuation of those huge lease checks they get for doing nothing.

You have clearly been lobbying with single minded dedication on this forum in support of the Slipper Skipper Fish Lords. Obviously you prefer not to talk about:

- the unfairness of the 88% commercial/12% recreational allocation and the intensive lobbying that was done by the Fish Lords to get this unfair allocation and to have DFO continue to defend it.

-the fact that the commercial allocation was given for free to the fish lords by heavily lobbied federal politicians and resulted in the privatization of a common resource to the determent of the economic interests of BC, recreational anglers, voters and many of the commercial halibut fishermen who actually fish for a living but have to lease quota from the slipper skipper fish lords.

It would appear that you, Duncan, Shea and the Federal Conservatives would rather attempt to deceive the public and try to pretend that the issue is about good fishery management, conservation and putting fish first when any thinking individual with knowledge of the issue knows that it absolutely is not. It is pretty easy to see whose interests you actually want to put first.

The plain hard cold truth is the slipper skipper fish lords don’t want to see a fairer allocation because it would decrease to small degree their profits. Further there are big money interests with political influence and power who love getting for free or very low cost, the fishery resources of Canada which they can control and make huge profits on forever.

I see you are bragging about having just sent Duncan a check for the support that he and his party have provided to the small group of fat cats who have been allowed once again to win out over the best interests of the BC economy, recreational anglers and the vast majority of voters. I have a hunch his campaign strategists are cringing a little that you are so blatantly bragging about cutting him a check for coming across to protect the unjustifiable financial interests of a few wealthy fish lord. I don’t think we will be surprised if a number of slipper skipper fish lords are also writing checks now. I think you know what this looks like to us and I suspect many voters.

Feel free to go work on Duncan’s Campaign putting up signs and stuffing envelopes and take some of your fish lord slipper skipper friends with you. It may be the first real work they have had to do in some time to support the unfair 88/12 allocation and the continuation of those huge lease checks they get for doing nothing.

Very Nice :) :)

ats57347_258Troll_spray.jpg

Why are you guys wasting your time responding to the troll... thats what feeds his ego... ignore him.....

F for ? I believe that you do not have any clout with Dinkun. I suspect that you are from Prince Rupert and you are just stirring up the pot. I am not paying much heed to you drooling.

fish4all:

I don't want to see this go where this is going, we all need to work together to come up with a better resolve for the Canadian Pacific Halibut Fishery. That is the WORKING COMMERCIAL FISHERMEN, THE Sporties and The First Nations, need to sort this issue out ammicably together!!! The NON-ACTIVE COMMERCIAL have no place in this, they are not actively fishing, they are only active collecting a profit cheque at the expense of CANADA. If we can all sit down and sort this out, the SLIPPER Skippers are going to be FU@KED FOR SURE!!!!!

If your intentions are not for the best to the majority and for the ones that are actively involved in the Halibut fishery (not just financially involved), then you would do everyone a great service by keeping the opinons and comments that just stirr the pot to yourself. We need to work together and if you are not willing to work with us, then well,,, you are just going to be a speed bump in the road to fixing this whole problem we have here.

Fish first????
I don't understand this comment. Duncan is supporting the Commercial fishery in his comments. The commercial fishery is far more efficient at removing the fish from the oceans and DO take more fish from the oceans than the Sport Fisheries will EVER be able to take from the oceans. So I fail to see how Duncan is pro-fish, he is clearly supporting killing MORE fish not FEWER! I am concerned as to your intentions to the future of this fishery by your statement of fish first, because you full well know that is a LIE!

Not letting political lobbying determine how the fish are managed on this coast????
This is another comment that concerns me as to your intentions and your credibility in regards to FIXING this problem, (not standing back throwing firecrackers into the fire). You also know that this comment is complete and total ********!! Political lobbying is what got us this fishery as it is today on this coast - PERIOD!!! The Commercial fishermen (mostly the orriginal Quota Giftees) actively lobbied the heads of DFO and worked with DFO to design the current fishery, and yes they also lobbied to have the quotas changed so that they could lease and sell them for,,, PROFITS from something that WAS FREE! These comments are and could be very misleading to someone that is uninformed, and it makes me wonder why you would make these comments, when from reading some of your previous posts, I believe that you have enough intelligence to know that they are untrue.

Now I am definately no economic advisor, but if you did in fact write Duncan a Cheque, I would suggest that you did not just make a very good financial investment, but rather you gave Duncan a gift. Much the same goes for the Commercial Fishermen that Purchased Quota (outright) from the orriginal giftee quota holders, this was a bad investment (a very risky one at that), it was more like a gift to the orriginal giftee quota holder.

Back