nitnat river

Drifted from parker to red rock the other weekend.... shes pretty skinny up top....hence a lot of dragging. Need some water

quote:Originally posted by Spooled Again

Lipripper how was the count on fish??
There wasnt much above the old one way.... maybe 8-10 5 of the were a group of doggies

sad,sad #'s, a far cry from years past and the traffic is now out of control, 15 trucks in one spot, guys coming over from Van,WTF. All the main pools should be jammed with big black boots by now......shut it down already! I think I'll save my gas and go bang some coho in the chuck instaed and leave the flossing and snaging to the newbs. Chartruse whool is hot for back bitters, have fun boys.

pretty good fishing this weekend. biggest was 32 pounds and got probably 7 or 8 fish couple chum. looking forward to when coho open.

good job, any pics? how dark was it and was it a back bitter, tail biter, or a flosser? Chartruse whool is the tickit, lol!!!!

I call bull they would have had to travel from the NI where they are rare without being seen. Maybe a really dirty or color phase blacky. Anyone seen a color phase on the island? i havent seen or heard of them

I spoke with the fella claiming to have photographed it as he was certain it was a grizzly and took the photo to fish and wildlife who confirmed it as a grizzly. All heresay, but, he seemed credible enough. Watch for local natives killing black bears. I confronted three for killing one today (Monday). Check out my posting in the General forum for more info. Tight lines!

Watch out for grizzly bears there everywhere don't bother running cause they'll catch you!They'll come through be rude eat your food tear your car right off the axle!

Langdon Auger-2008

they are pretty ruthless when it comes to shooting bears, use to live in the reserve, mom was the teacher there for a few years, remember one time seeing about 7 dead in a pile, they sat there for about 3 weeks till they couldn't stand the smell anymore. anyway would like to see this picture ;)

What do us for flies?[?]
Wool?[?]
What color?[?]

flyfishingman

Google 'coho bugger'. It's a fly based on a Californian tie known as the 'green neal'. Very simple fly. Try flourescent blue and chartreuse green. Keep it sparse and about size 6 for low clear water. Tight lines!

bah ! scrap that idea thought it was only closed for retention, should be lots of fish in the river by the time it opens again, with all this rain [^]

spent the day out at nitinat today just lookin around,
the hatchery was seining and collecting fish from the lake,
so we hung out with them and watched for about an hour - it sure is a neat little setup they have going with the corkscrew taking fish out of the pen. it was mostly chum with a few coho thrown in.
We then booted up to the hatchery and looked around a bit, and then cruised up and down the river side looking for fish and bears. Well no bears, and next to no fish with the exception of one pool with quite a few chum under the bridge.
Nice day out there though :)

Back