Nice day to visit a hatchery

Sculpin

Well my son and I had to batten down the hatches(tarp it up for winter) on the travel trailer at Salmon beach today. As we were driving along near Sprout Lake on this glorious day we decided to head into the Robertson Creek Fish Hatchery as we have never been there before. Lived on the Island my whole life and driven by it dozens and dozens of times with out visiting. Well today we went in and took a look around and snapped some photos. Nice facility for sure. I thought I would share some photos for any of the folks that have not been there before.

RobertsonCreekHatchery002.jpg

RobertsonCreekHatchery018.jpg

RobertsonCreekHatchery019.jpg

RobertsonCreekHatchery003.jpg

RobertsonCreekHatchery005.jpg

Jake wasn't in the photo taking mood today or maybe he is just p*ssed about the low returns of Chinook this year.

RobertsonCreekHatchery007.jpg

Was tricky getting these shots. Amazing as about 50% of them actually made it into the culvert. Some of them miss it and slam into the rocks and back into the river for another try.

RobertsonCreekHatchery009.jpg

RobertsonCreekHatchery012.jpg

A real mix of fish

RobertsonCreekHatchery016.jpg

Was nice to visit this hatchery finally. We have been to quite a few on the Island but always seem to drive by the Robertson Creek Fish Hatchery.

On another note. On the way to Salmon beach we passed a couple of bears. One I almost went for but decided he was to small. On the way home coming down the hill before Kennedy lake this lady wasn't shy from giving us a shot.

RobertsonCreekHatchery021.jpg

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

I noted that there are new renovations around the hatchery buildings. I haven't been there since few years now.

Yeah, it's sad to hear such low chinook returns the last 5 years in Somass-Stamp System. It once had 200,000 chinooks returning to spawn before.

Glad to hear number of coho, steelhead, few springs arriving in the Hatchery channels.

Back