New Yamaha Big Block 9.9High Thrust

profisher

Thought I would post this for those of you sitting on a tired big block 9.9 Yamaha high thrust. Instead of dumping it for an inferior option....new powerheads are still available. I picked this up and when the one on the boat starts to show signs of being worn out it will be a simple job of lifting the powerhead off, dressing the new block with the bolt ons from the old block and then plunking the new back onto the leg. The other bonus is not having to reconfigure the steering and the like for a completely different motor. Here is the new Yamaha powerhead that sits on the shelf waiting for the day.

No will just fit the 2007 and earlier big block 9.9's. You have to buy in two parts, block and head. I got a good deal on the block (it had 10 hours on it) and the head was $1700.00. I bought a timing belt, oil pressure relief valve, base gasket and the pan rubber grommets which wear out from vibration and cause metal on metal sounds. Good to replace when the powerhead is off as it just takes a couple minutes extra. BTW the easiest way to tell this motor apart from the other 9.9s Yamaha made is that this one has a spin on canister oil filter, the others don't.

Back